This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where should a newbie ride on Bluebell hill?
Hi all,

First post on here so please be gentle ........................... (Flame retardant suit at the ready)

I've just moved into the Rochester area and bought myself a mountain bike, discovered the forum this week and it looks great  ;D

Mostly i have been riding the north downs way from nashenden farm to the viewing point, but I'm not toosure where to go next.  SOme of the trails running down towards the river are little too steep for my beginners nerves. Can anyone reccomend a few good ways to go to make life a little more interesting, without scaring me senseless?

Cheers,

Sean
Welcome along Sean!

Dont know BBH all that well myself as Ive only ridden it at night but Im sure someone else will be able to help out!
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Hiya sean nice to meet you on here

There are some regular BBH rides on a wednesday evening ! Get your self down to one of them introduce yourself and have a laugh ... We have riders of varied skill and fitness so you will always have someone to laugh at when the inevitable slow mo crash occurs!

Dont worry if you dont own lights ... Someone will have a spare !
Hope to see you soon
Hi sean. No flame retardent suit needed here.
Sign up to one of the group rides for a guided tour. BBy far the best way to learn your way about. Plenty of BBH gurus on here and the rides are both friendly and easy paced.
What bike have you bought?
I'm a little bit cautious about a group ride at the moment, I reckon I could be quite a long way off the back.  I should probably just bite the bullet and get on with it.

I bought a Specialized FSR XC (pic below) at the end of the summer, finally getting into riding a little more as my work is a little calmer.

I will probably try to get on a weekend ride at first, tackle some of the terrain in the light.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
Less than 1 minute ago" />   
Nice bike!  ;D    I have the Stumpjumper version!

You won't get left behind on a group ride, all abilities are catered for so dont worry about that.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
when mud not too much of a problem on the edge of the fields theres good stuff along along the top all the way to Detling showground with a few variations on way back and group rides can show best ways up and down to tracks and stuff along along pligrims way as well.
I know the area well so tell me when your able to ride and I may show you around. I however cannot guarantee I won't show you the really scary stuff, but you don't have to ride anything you don't want and I do warn people of what's ahead.

Wednesday night ride is a MUST, but if your new to the area I would advise you come out on a few daytime rides first. The route(s) we take in the dark could be considered routes you wouldn't want to tackle for the first time, in the dark, especially if your nervous/new to it
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
Hi sean and welcome. I'm using my phone at the mo but head on over to <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.openstreetmap.org">www.openstreetmap.org</a><!-- w --> and find the bbh area. We have added the most popular trails on the map.

For a noobie, staying up along the north downs way and towards the viewpoint is fine.

Take a look at the maps and perhaps point to where you "may" wish to go and we can perhaps advise on what it's like.

Do you have lights? If so, join us on a Wednesday night for a ride around.
&quot;SCS&quot; Wrote:I'm a little bit cautious about a group ride at the moment, I reckon I could be quite a long way off the back.  I should probably just bite the bullet and get on with it.

I bought a Specialized FSR XC (pic below) at the end of the summer, finally getting into riding a little more as my work is a little calmer.

I will probably try to get on a weekend ride at first, tackle some of the terrain in the light.

Nice bike !

Do not worry about being slow or off the back ... you havent seen me  :B I would like to think every sketchy ride people will happily stop and wait !  

Some are fit riders ... But all of us just like to ride our bikes ! If we can have someone new along on a ride then it makes it even better !

O and Redwinnie has been known to give out free jaffa cakes on rides Tongue