This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BorderCollieSam-Weight Loss Journal
OK guys, here goes, i've weighed in this morning at 17.0 st  3/4lbs, and its time to get back into training and weight loss.

Starting a strict diet today of 1500 calories per day, i know its quite low, however managed it quite easily last summer and managed to loose a few stone (18.2st-14.13st) from around March-July.

The reason for my weight gain is obviously stopped training and started eating what i wanted when i wanted without bothering about calorie intake.

I maintained my weight really easily around 15.5st upon coming back from Holiday in August all the way through to late November, however had a wisdom tooth out at the end of November and was in agony for weeks so didn't train and started eating crap again.....and then Christmas was upon me and i thought excellent, good excuse to binge out, which has carried through until now (end Jan).

So, just about to prep road bike and will then be out on the road for a little over 1 hr, covering around 17-20 miles.

Will be excercising on an empty stomach to kick start the weight loss, i used this technique last year and did not find it a problem.

Constructive Comments/Advice welcome.....
What will you be eating daily to keep to the 1500 calories?

If it sounds nice I may join you in a attempt to drop a few pounds for the summer.
Well done Soni. Great post and great plan. Best of luck with it. Having seen you fly up Warren Hill on tractor tyres I have no doubt you do this.
I personally wouldnt recommend exercising on an empty stomach though. Bonking isnt enjoyable and you need to be looking forward to cycling. How about a big bowl of porridge and do an extra 30 minutes on the bike.
I think it's mentions elsewhere that breakfast sets your body up to allow fat burning as if you eat after exercising on an empty stomach the body enters storage mode!

It's whatever your happy with, but 1500 and vigorous excersie sounds
like a crash diet which means you are gonna gain it back again when you level out.

Gonna keep a log myself as and when I can get cycling again.
Hi guys, just got back from my ride, not a great day......

The good bit is I was astounded by how easy i found it, did 17 miles, rode up Taylor Rd/Vigo Hill which is steep, was out of the saddle and had a good rhythm with just the right gear and found it really enjoyable, was puffing at the end, but controllable and recovered quickly, had a really good workout for the first 50 minutes of cycling.

The bad bits:-

Puncture 50 minutes into ride, couldn't find anything in tire, patched it with a Scab, all was fine.

Set back off, another 10 minutes later, whilst riding down hill, changing down from the largest ring on the front to the middle, the chain slips off, and in the process jams like you wouldn't believe around the pedal crank, it was so bad it was in the shape of a letter 's', and there was nothing i could do to free it, i had to remove the power link, remove the chain completely, i checked for any damage/twisted links which may have been caused by the jam but luckily all seemed well, but my hands were covered in oil and now my white handlebar tape is in a right mess, although got some 'green' tape to go with the bike in the garage so might put that on later.

Stupid motorists, firstly a car pulled out from a left hand turn onto the stretch i was riding, parked cars on my left hand side all along, i was over half way through and had no where to pull into, i saw him, but he didn't see me, pulled straight out and not even on his side of the road, missed me by inches, although he did put his hand up to say sorry....

Next i'm confronted with a parked van on my side of the road on a right hand bend, i go around the van, a car comes flying around the corner, narrowly missing me....

Next, i'm climbing up Wrotham Water Road (its a lane) and is steep, about the same as Vigo Hill which is a 1:6 hill, this idiot in a silver mondeo estate car is right up my back side, in 2nd gear, i can't move over, he can't get around me, he's revving the hell out of his motor trying to intimidate me, i'm out of the saddle, really going for it, must have been doing 10mph up that hill which i didn't think was bad, then he gets even closer and must have been inches away from my rear wheel, you could tell he was being impatient and had no respect for cyclists, in the end the lane got a little wider and i flagged him through with a violent wave of the hand/arm and growling/shouting at him in the process, why are some road users like this?

I must admit, when the chain got jammed and i had to remove it, with my hands full of oil, in the middle of a lane with no footpaths and traffic flying by me without even the decency to slow down, i thought to myself, why bother with cycling, why not just pay a monthly membership to a gym and be in a warm safe environment with music and the satisfaction of knowing that i'm not going to get a puncture, my chain isn't going to come off, and i'm not going to get knocked off by some impatient motorist!

But then again when you fix that puncture, that chain, and you are flying back down the road, you get such a good feeling of freedom and the hormones that you release make you realise that there is nothing better than being out cycling in the countryside breathing in the fresh air of the land..... Smile
Never let the buggers grind you down!!

A good start to the training with a couple of good climbs to get the heart rate up...   sounds fun
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
&quot;mashley&quot; Wrote:What will you be eating daily to keep to the 1500 calories?

If it sounds nice I may join you in a attempt to drop a few pounds for the summer.

Hi mate, last year i was having a chocolate slim fast shake for breakfast (they are really nice and refreshing after a ride - but then i love milkshakes).

You don't have to have the slimfast, anything of around 150-200 calories, its just i'm always in a hurry in the mornings and found this to be quick and easy and was drinking it on the way to work, instead of having to sit at home eating breakfast.

Then i was having something at mid morning of around 150-200 calories, like a cereal bar, then at lunchtime some fruit or a snack/low calorie sandwich of around 250-350 calories, which then tied me through until around 5-6pm when i had my evening meal of around 700-1000 calories, something like a Jacket Potatoe with a low calorie filling, or a slice of fish with some potatoes and veg, i didn't eat much after 7pm, went to bed at around 9:30pm as was getting up at 05:00hrs for around 80 minutes cycling from 05:30 - 07:50....

Hope you don't mind me asking but how much do you weigh?
&quot;BMJBOY&quot; Wrote:I think it's mentions elsewhere that breakfast sets your body up to allow fat burning as if you eat after exercising on an empty stomach the body enters storage mode!

It's whatever your happy with, but 1500 and vigorous excersie sounds
like a crash diet which means you are gonna gain it back again when you level out.

Gonna keep a log myself as and when I can get cycling again.

Hi mate, do you have an injury or is it time constraints?

Regarding putting weight back on, i can get by on 1500 calories per day whilst dieting, and the weight soon drops off, I managed to keep it off until around December time, i can maintain my bodyweight eating sensibly on around 2500-3000 calories per day, which is more than sufficient and allows for some nice treats, but if i tell you that sometimes i eat 2-3 large meals per day (including McDonalds) and sometimes on the days i eat McD's, i get home and have an Indian takeaway in the evening, and also have a double sausage in a roll with onions and red sauce on it in the mornings for breakfast from our works sandwich van, and this is without eating 2-3 chocolate bars, yoghurts, and biscuits throughout the day, you can realise why i'm putting weight on!

I must be consuming around 5000-6000 calories per day!

I know its not good, but i enjoy eating :B

I have a very sweat tooth and also like lots of icecream!  (Forgot to include that above, so maybe its closer to 7000 calories per day :o)
Its a niggling hamstring I'm currently having physio and got some exercises for. I'm listening to them as I don't want to ruin anything which would put me off the bike for longer.

I'm about 1 week away from gentle road riding.

Really put a spanner in my plans though currently, worried I'm gonna suffer in Wales!
&quot;BorderCollieSam&quot; Wrote:Hi mate, last year i was having a chocolate slim fast shake for breakfast (they are really nice and refreshing after a ride - but then i love milkshakes).

You don't have to have the slimfast, anything of around 150-200 calories, its just i'm always in a hurry in the mornings and found this to be quick and easy and was drinking it on the way to work, instead of having to sit at home eating breakfast.

Then i was having something at mid morning of around 150-200 calories, like a cereal bar, then at lunchtime some fruit or a snack/low calorie sandwich of around 250-350 calories, which then tied me through until around 5-6pm when i had my evening meal of around 700-1000 calories, something like a Jacket Potatoe with a low calorie filling, or a slice of fish with some potatoes and veg, i didn't eat much after 7pm, went to bed at around 9:30pm as was getting up at 05:00hrs for around 80 minutes cycling from 05:30 - 07:50....

Hope you don't mind me asking but how much do you weigh?

Sounds simple, but in practice?? I weigh 13st dead on. But i have been down to 12 before!