This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interval Training.....in a Gym
Calling all fitness types....
Im going to step up my recovery this week. Ive already build up a good level of basil cardio fitness and my stamina seems fairly good. But what i really need is to imitate MTBing as closely as I can....i.e. the stop start fast slow up down nature of MTB. So.....
If I were to ride the Kaiser cycle what periods/spacing should i have between pushing it and easing of et etc?
Pyramid training would do you quite well in the gym. I have a 8 block plan that could be adapted to the gym easily. A "block" can be defined by you, a week, 10 days, whatever. It's based on four rides in each block, 2 real rides & 2 turbo sesions. You could just substitute a gym cycle session for now instead of the real rides. Would then easily adapt when you get back on the bike. Should have you fit for April too.
I'll sort you a copy.
Excellent. I have a chainset for you so I'll catch up with you next week maybe.
Oh yeah!  I might be interested in borowing that rear mech you offered Soni too, if that's OK. Seems my spares are going to be with the store until mid feb >Sad
I can email the training programme if you like, but I'm not sure I can attach it to a pm. Maybe you can pm me a realworld email addy? Wink
"Blackers" Wrote:Calling all fitness types....
Im going to step up my recovery this week. Ive already build up a good level of basil cardio fitness and my stamina seems fairly good. But what i really need is to imitate MTBing as closely as I can....i.e. the stop start fast slow up down nature of MTB. So.....
If I were to ride the Kaiser cycle what periods/spacing should i have between pushing it and easing of et etc?

Does your gym do 'spinning' classes, I find they are usually a very good work out with lots of interval sessions..
"PeteW" Wrote:Does your gym do 'spinning' classes, I find they are usually a very good work out with lots of interval sessions..

They do but the room they hold the classes in is so small and badly conceived that the classes get incredibly hor. which leaves me with a mahoosive headache for the rest of the day. which is annoying because you are right...spinning is brilliant training.
Cyclocross training article in road mag had lots of short interval training with 15 to 30 second burst (intense so anerobic, can't talk/not quite throwing up intensity) followed by normal fast riding to recover for 15 or 30 seconds again (normal riding being a pace you can keep up for an hour or so and just be able to talk a bit)

My spinning class has loads of 30s intervals (haven't been for last month must go tomorrow)

Climbing need high effort resistance for 5 to 10 mins at regular pace  (pretty close to max effort - just about talk and hold pace and rhythm for your target time) reduce resistance a bit for another minute and up pace so you get accustomed to accelerating over the top of hills.
Recovery time still at reasonable pace for 5 mins

Plus some 3 min spins for recovery between intervals and hills

10 min warm up to get heart rate up and 5 min warm down spin plus stretching
60 min to 75 min session with a couple of climbs and 3 or so interval sessions -should feel shattered at end. I have early lunch 2 hrs before and drink loads or I'm sick and would do in garage or somewhere coldish if ever did at home.