This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trail Recommendations Kent / E Sussex
Hi all,

V new to the board, apologies if this is the wrong location! I'm a Leeds lad living in London, my parents recently moved to Rye on the south coast.

Would anyone care to recommend any Kent / E Sussex trail spots, official or 'informal', that might be worth combining with family visits?
Bedgebury Pinetum: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://bedgeburypinetum.org.uk/">http://bedgeburypinetum.org.uk/</a><!-- m -->

Lots for the family to do... while you head off on the singletrack ;-)
Yep I'm in Hastings and go to Bedgebury. once or twice a week.. It's about 30mins from you... Also 30 mins in the opposite direction towards Ashford is Kings Wood, I've not been yet but the guys here regularly ride there and I'm planning to join them soon.

There's also a ride which is mostly off road from Rye to Dungeness which starts on the path just the other side of the bridge opposite Skinners car sales. Again, not done it myself yet but a mate does it a lot.
Bedgebury is the only one that is waymarked as far as i can remember. The rest you will spend a while exploring for the trails, or tag along with 1 of us that knows where they are going.

Also there are places like
Blean - Canterbury
Blue bell hill - near maidstone
Kingswood - challock

Surrey trails -
Peaslake (holmbury, pitch and leith hills)
Swinely forest (the lookout) also waymarks near bracknell.

My best advice is get a free app called strava.
On this app you can follow people and see where they ride. (Sketchymtb have a group feed) It also has a segment explorer (in settings) showing indiviually named trails on a map.
^^^ What he said! Smile

My recommendation would be Bedgebury - I've ridden there a lot over the last year as it holds up okay through the winter. It's also come on leaps and bounds recently. It can be ridden fast or slow and generally suits a variety of people. You often see little'uns tearing up the red trail which is pretty cool Smile

The whole place is generally a very family oriented place and it has just opened up it's revamped visitor center which has a new and improved cafe and much more space inside!

Parking is quite steep for the day at about 9.50 now (I think?!?) but not much of a prob if the whole family goes etc. Once you have your bearings there we can point you in the direction of some free parking spots which saddle up close to the red route which is cool if it's just you or a couple of you jumping in for a spin.