This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sketchy in Wales - Training Programme
I have mentioned on several occasions to several people that I have a little training programme.
I've now emailed copies to a few people, of course whether they are using or not I can't say, but it's based on 8 x 10 day "blocks."
Each block should contain 2 rides & 2 turbo trainer sessions.

So since today there are 80 days between here & Sketchy in Wales I thought I'd upload it for everyone who's interested to look at.

This was provided to me by a very knowledgable friend to improve my fitness for an endurance event.  It's a general riding fitness plan & does not focus on going up or down, just going & going.

For thoese of you without a turbo trainer it'll be more difficult to follow as the turbo sessions are important, but it does make suggestions for interval sessions on road.

Remember this is not a personally tailored plan for each of you, but a general plan that should improve your fitness if taken seriously.
Please heed the warnings within the plan about back to back turbo sessions & all the usuall warning about exersion & health etc....

If nothing else I've just removed an excuse Wink
Hope it helps ;D

[edit] Forgot to say, whatever happens, it's not my fault ;D [edit]

Attached Files
.pdf   Less than 1 minute ago">training_plan_8278.pdf (Size: 11.32 KB / Downloads: 0)
I'm exhausted just reading it!!!  ;D
"cupcake" Wrote:I'm exhausted just reading it!!!  ;D

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
I have the space to do this - as I can do this along the beachfront - its 4 miles long - therefore 8 miles up and down.

There is a long "climb" (if you can call it that) which I would say is 4 minutes long at a fair pace - its not steep - but any hill is steep enough if giving it some welly right?

Can you elaborate on the days? - am I right in thinking you train on alternate days? the way I see it there are only 4 or 5 rides in a block.

Time-wise it also suits me, so this could be good for me!  ;D
No, Ben, you're not right I'm afraid.
Each 10 day block contains 4 rides total, being made up of 2 interval sessions & 2 constant effort rides.
How you arrange the 4 rides into the 10 days is up to you, but you must not do the 2 interval sessions on consecutive days.
You could use weeks instead of 10 day blocks, but it's easier to crowbar 4 rides into 10 days than every week.

Is that clearer for you?
So in theory you could do 4 days on, 6 off?

That doesnt seem a good way to train, as surely recovery is all part of improvement too? (been reading the book see!)

I whacked some of this down on a calander, and if you was to to train on alternate days, this 10 Block programme is shorter.

(Does that make sense?)

So apart from the Test Ride days, you only ride 4 times in a block.

All the "constant pace" part - I have a HRM for my Garmin and I can setup interval training - Im assuming "flat out" is within the top 80% of Max heart rate?

And for the Steady Miles - at what heart zone would that be in? - Im guessing one where mild chat is just comfortable enough without losing breath?
i have done this for 2 blocks and was very good. going to start it up again very soon.
To answer your questions..... or the questions I think you are asking anyway......

So in theory you could do 4 days on, 6 off?
Yes that's theoretically possible, but I did say "if taken seriously"

That doesnt seem a good way to train, as surely recovery is all part of improvement too? (been reading the book see!)
No it isn't a good way to train seriously

I whacked some of this down on a calander, and if you were to to train on alternate days, this 10 Block programme is shorter.
WTF Undecided
8 blocks, each being 10 days duration.  10 blocks? Who, where, how??????
If you train on alternate days then you'll do 8 day blocks without fitness tests.
Yes 8x8 is less than 10x8
If you make it shorter you'll be just  as fit, but quicker, more prone to injury and have time to sit around, recover, rest & loose fitness before you go to Wales

(Does that make sense?) Not a bit! Undecided

So apart from the Test Ride days, you only ride 4 times in a block. Yes

All the "constant pace" part - I have a HRM for my Garmin and I can setup interval training - Im assuming "flat out" is within the top 80% of Max heart rate? flat out is as hard as you can go or "flat out".  100% effort is flat out

And for the Steady Miles - at what heart zone would that be in? - Im guessing one where mild chat is just comfortable enough without losing breath? Page 1; last paragraph "Steady miles. It is important to try and keep the effort constant . This will mean easing back on the climbs and not racing up them flat out and some descents and flats end up being ridden quite fast."  Consistant effort is the key to building endurance.  I presume if you can maintain the chat through the whole ride you're spot on :Smile

Right, to be slightly more constructive;
This is a training plan designed to fit around real life, hence 10 day blocks.  How much have you ridden in the last few months?  Once a week at best?  Are you hoenstly going to ride every other day for the next 3 months - no!  As I said previously it's easier to fit 4 rides into 10 days in real life than 4 rides into a week in real life.

Don't get too hung up on this, Ben, it's a plan, that's all.  Something to follow, to aim at.  You don't need HRM's etc... You know if you're giving the beans or not & it's only yourself you answer to if you give it less, but if you're happy with the effort & returns on what you put in then the plan has done it's job.  If your "flat out" is 80% & the plan could make you 10% fitter, you'll still be 8% fitter based on your 80% effort.
What this is designed to do is provide some structure.  Following this with 50% effort will still see you on the bike more than of late, so you'll be fitter than you are now when you get to the end of April. ;D ;D
Inspired by this I tried some interval type stuff on the keiser bikes at the gym. I did...
2 minutes at 170kw
30 seconds at 340kw
1 minute at 170kw
1 minute at 340kw
1 minute at 170kw
1 minute at 340kw
2 minutes at 170kw
then i died. I had just climbed off the xtrainer though.
Annoyingly my legs went way before my breathing. there really is no better training for cycling than cycling. Roll on 8 March!!!
I did the washing up then sat on the sofa