This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dropper seatposts
Hiya chaps

Well after finally trying a dropper seatpost today (Joplin i think) i want one ! So handy to have

If im correct i cant get a joplin for my bike as its only a 27.2 seatpost

So that leaves me with 2 options (from what i can see?)

Gravity Dropper

And the Superstar one

Obviously the superstar one seems great at under half the price ... But surely its a case of you get what you pay for ?

Any advice ? Any seatposts im missing out ?
Im looking at the same post. reviews don't seem to bad, although the seals are supposed to be crap but nothing a bit of inner tube over it wont fix.

part of me still wonders if i really need one, i mean its not that hard to lower and raise your post is it?
They make a massive difference on xc riding but are probably not worth the money if you do more stop/start sessioning type stuff. You can pick up second hand gravity droppers for under £100 and as they are crude and mechanical, theres less to go wrong. There will be a 27.2 version of the KS i900/950 soon with a seperate resovoir but you will be talking £175+

Dont forget that the cheap KS one you mention (its not Superstars, they just sell them) still has 1" of suspension movement which may not be desired. Ive never tried a suspension seatpost but I would have thought it would feel a bit funny going up and down effectively changing the saddle height.
f you ride in technical areas they make a massive difference and are well worth it. On some rides like the BBH one the other day i ddint need to use it but when i ride round surrey i use it up to 10 times on one ride.
Even just dropping it an inch on singletrack gives me a lot more confidence. No idea why I didnt get a shim for my old Gravity Dropper when I bought the Zesty instead of selling it then waiting to buy a different one!
"Buzz" Wrote:f you ride in technical areas they make a massive difference and are well worth it. On some rides like the BBH one the other day i ddint need to use it but when i ride round surrey i use it up to 10 times on one ride.
I think that is why you are suddenly so much quicker up the hills... you used to always have your saddle set up for the downs, which was way to low for the ups.

I will be getting one in the next couple of weeks hopefully, so will be keeping an eye on this thread and will be asking lots of questions when i have some money.
"Breezer" Wrote:Even just dropping it an inch on singletrack gives me a lot more confidence. No idea why I didnt get a shim for my old Gravity Dropper when I bought the Zesty instead of selling it then waiting to buy a different one!
Silly billy Tongue
"Breezer" Wrote:They make a massive difference on xc riding but are probably not worth the money if you do more stop/start sessioning type stuff. You can pick up second hand gravity droppers for under £100 and as they are crude and mechanical, theres less to go wrong. There will be a 27.2 version of the KS i900/950 soon with a seperate resovoir but you will be talking £175+

Dont forget that the cheap KS one you mention (its not Superstars, they just sell them) still has 1" of suspension movement which may not be desired. Ive never tried a suspension seatpost but I would have thought it would feel a bit funny going up and down effectively changing the saddle height.

Where from?
The second hand market...
I have a gravity dropper on my orange, its a 27.2, cant really fault it, I have had it in bits and it is very simple and easy to service, plus it has a lot less lateral play in it than my joplin post. They come in various lengths and drops so make sure you get the right one. I would go for a 4" drop if I was buying again, my current one is 3" which is fine but I still drop the post as low as it will go when riding places that dont involve pedaling back up. The extra option of a bar lever is well worth having if a bit pricey.