This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What speed is broadband?
Just wondering what download speed constitutes broadband. I have recently had a phone line installed and have signed up for 'broadband', At this time of night I am getting around 300kbs download, it improves in the daytime (3 meg at best) but still not fast enough to stream online tv, I wanted to do this as I only get 4 tv channels (no digital free view signal here), believe it or not I am only 5 mins drive from canterbury city centre, it feels like the back of beyond!
I get 7-8MB depending on time etc 7 at the lowest ... I love living moments from the telephone exchange  ;D
just done another test 210kbs!  if thats as fast as im gonna get thats fine, but if that doesnt constitute broadband then maybe I have recourse to haggle over what I am paying?
[quote="]just done another test 210kbs!  if thats as fast as im gonna get thats fine, but if that doesnt constitute broadband then maybe I have recourse to haggle over what I am paying?[/quote"]

Stupid question but are you wired up correctly ? My grandad was getting stupidly slow speed till i saw he had plugged in cables into the dial up modem built into the computer !
Thats slow. kick up a stink.
And be glad you arent me. we have to use mobile broadband. i am dial up speed 90% of the time but every now and again i get a 5 minute spell of 1meg or so.
Thus i do most of surfing on my mobile which is quicker.
on the phone to them now!
Lots of ISP's cap the speeds at peak hours ie the evenings, mine do. Heres mine for example under the premium section http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/sp...eeds.shtml  so I only get 256kbit to some download sides but youtube etc is max speed. Perhaps yours caps it completely as most are starting to do it or it could be the phone lines, find out the noise ratings from your router and tell them
find out the noise ratings from my router.............WTF???   ;D

havent a clue, they wanted me to do a ping test cant do that either
turns out I am screwed and the connection will be slow until they fix it which they say will be within 2 months!
Ping test takes 20 seconds to explain over the phone.....plus all it would show is latency and dropped packets which isnt the best way to show errors on a line as if you are actually getting bad packet loss then its totally screwed.

Regardless, there must be something that can be done sooner as the service is not fit for use unless they (almost certainly) have some small print in the T&C which says no speed is guarenteed