This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hutchinson Cobra 26x2.1 Hardskin Tyres
Htuchinson Cobra Hardskin XC Marathon 26" x 2.1" Folding Tyres 590g Mixed/Dry/Rocky Conditions

Price £14.99 from CRC (RRP: £36.99)

I bought a pair of these to fit to my Hardtail commuter MTB. I wanted fast rolling for when I ride to work on the roads, but with grip for XC on the way home, and volume for cushioning on small drops and steps.

They were to replace a pair of Bontrager LT3 26" x 2.0" wire tyres. The LT3 had served me well but were starting to get worn and increasingly less resistant to punctures and damage from from shards of gravel/glass.

On first impression of the Cobra hardskin tyres, before fitting, I felt satisfied they would offer equal if not better grip than the LT3, the knobs are smaller and there are lots of them of different shapes. The sidewalls are of reasonable thickness to not be too easily damaged.

Holding them, I guessed that they might be a small 2.10", and this was immediately obvious after fitting the tyres so for certainty I measured them and found them to be just short of 1.9". This was disappointing as I had hoped for something with slightly more volume than the LT3 (which I had confirmed were 2.0").

I took them for a quick spin around the block and can only say at this point that they definitely are fast rolling, and they felt grippy, but I felt a bit of slip while hopping up over a small concrete ramp onto grass at speed, can't comment any further about grip without having ridden anything really requiring it.

UPDATE:

I removed these after a few days as I wasn't happy with the harshness of ride due to the lesser air volume than the 2.0" tyres they were supposed to replace. I was running them around 35psi but didn't actually try a lower pressure because of past experience with lower pressures and dinks in rims.
I might give them another chance but they'll probably end up as a commute-with-occasional-xc tyre in the Winter.
Have been using these again over the past week. Put less PSI in them this time and are much more comfortable and still pretty fast rolling. Could possibly squeeze a few more PSI in without it getting too rattly. Felt a bit squidgy dropping off the side of a 18" ledge. No punctures in 40 miles mostly road though.