This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IT help needed
Bugger, I'm in the shite if I cant sort this out..

I have a external hard drive which I keep all my work data on.... Today my computer is going to decide that'll it'll read all the folder names & tell me it has 10Gb of data on it but wont actually read any of the files... Any suggestions ??  
Can you explain more?

You can access the drive?

You can see the files?

But you cannot open ANY file?

If you can access the files in any form they are currently in - if you have the space on internal HDD  - COPY (dont move) the contents over, just to ensure you have a copy incase this drive is dead.

Is the drive connected by USB or Firewire?

Doesnt sound healthy to me, so you need to copy the data over just incase you cannot gain access later.
I've found this.... should I try it ?

OK listen very careful... and take note.!!

Download this program: (copy and paste the full address)
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://download.cnet.com/..">http://download.cnet.com/..</a><!-- m -->.

Click save..when the download finish, install the software..

Now here what to do..

Open the programm- select wizard- partition recovery wizard-next to continue-select the disk you cant access- choose full scan disk- wait until the scan finish- it should find your deleted partition- after that close the programm- go on disk management from windows explorer-assign a letter at the partition just recovered- done!!!

Now you should have all your data back and accessible...

Follow step by step and you'll see it works...good luck
Not just yet - copy the drive first into a folder on your internal drive (if you have the space)
Sounds to me like the boot sector is OK, but the data section of the drive has a problem.
Imagine having the index for a Haynes manual, but none of the rest of the book :o

What drive is it? (Don't say Western Digital!)

Try Ben's suggestion before anything else.

Have you tried the disc on more than one PC?
What about different cables?
Could easily be the cable or interface rather than the disc itself.

DO NOT install any software until you have a good idea of what's going on.
If there is a problem with the data section you could easily over write something.
If using Vista and you can see the drive in MY COMPUTER (Explorer)

Right Click the drive / Properties / Tools / Error-Checking - Check Now (check both boxes for repair options)

Worth a shot to do this.

First prioroty is data safety, so copy it, even if its bunkum at the moment.

Silly Question : Has all the icons for the files changed? - your computer may have simply lost its file association settings.
at the moment I'm doing a backup onto my hard drive. Although I cant see the data I'm guessing it must be there somewhere & my thoughts is to copy whatever I have before I delete it accidentally forever. That'll take a few minutes (45minutes to be precise) then I'll do what Ben suggests.

Its a iomega 150GB hard drive
&quot;BMJBOY&quot; Wrote:If using Vista and you can see the drive in MY COMPUTER (Explorer)

Right Click the drive / Properties / Tools / Error-Checking - Check Now (check both boxes for repair options)

Worth a shot to do this.

First prioroty is data safety, so copy it, even if its bunkum at the moment.

Silly Question : Has all the icons for the files changed? - your computer may have simply lost its file association settings.

I'm using XP... I'll wait until I've backed it all up then try this or its equivalent XP tools if there are any
Surely the external usb is only a backup of your data which you keep on the machine so if the drive is dead then you still have it on the pc itself. Try the disk check as mentioned above after trying to copy it. If the dirs are showing blank then its probably a screwed mft table which the check may fix from its mirror.
Ok, so the drive sounds like its mechanically working - and there is some semblance of data being saved/moved.

Will have to see what the copy produces I guess.

New external drives are well cheap these days, worth possibly getting a new one (especially as its important data) as and when sorted.

I have a 320gb external drive, and Backup4All program - I save all my work on my secondary internal drive, and the program backs up selected folders twice a day automatically as a mirror of its originals.

That way, Ive always got 2 copies of the files/folders - and are only a few hours old.

There are other fancy ways of doing it called RAID, but thats a bit overkill and sometimes more confusing.