This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How wide is too wide
My Trek came with 710 bars, is this too wide or am I just out of date.
Im looking to upgrade to wider bars ... my raceface ones are to narrow at  640mm
keep them wide to begin with, if it still feels too wide after a couple of weeksmove your grips in a bit, don't cut them immediately until are certain, better still, if you want them narrower, sell them at full width and pick up some cheap narrow bars.
Keep it foolish...
That's wide for a medium travel bike. I would try and get used to them. I love wide bars (mine are 739mm) as they give you so much more leverage to throw the bike Into corners. I notice it came with a very long stem too, might I suggest trying a shorter one, maybe 70mm? 710mm bars and 100mm stem seems a strange combination Undecided  
Ive been riding with 710's and they are nice, cant wait to try them on the Zesty
wider bars will bring your weight forward and slow the steering so compensate with a shorter stem, 710 is a good general trail width.
"Treehugger" Wrote:That's wide for a medium travel bike. I would try and get used to them. I love wide bars (mine are 739mm) as they give you so much more leverage to throw the bike Into corners. I notice it came with a very long stem too, might I suggest trying a shorter one, maybe 70mm? 710mm bars and 100mm stem seems a strange combination Undecided  

Yeah that stem is 110 its like having a fence post attached to the front of my bike ;D
Just gone from 685 to 740, vast improvement, keep them.
I've been riding a bike with 760 bars and i like em...  

have to say that 710 is a good width but what in gods name are they doing putting a 110 stem on it.... get a 70 and i reckon you're laughing.....
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
Was discussing this with sailor on Saturday, mine came with 640's and a 90mm (i think) stem. Doesnt feel slow but im waiting till funds allow winder bars and perhaps a 70mm to speed things up a bit. Would like to have a quick go on a bike with wider bars as I have narrow shoulders!
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon