This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear hub problem
I hope I manage to make this fairly succinct but it’s not as straightforward as I’d like it to be – here goes!

The rear axle (Y-3CZ 98020) in my XT hub (WH-M775 F1) has sheared in two.  The part numbers have been taken directly from the hub and from this tech doc.  It seems this is not a standard XT hub - I have a new axle on order from Madison, however ETA is mid April.

To complicate things, the rear wheel sits on a Whyte E120 which uses a unique attachment called the Big Gripper Dropout System see page 5.

What I need to know is whether I can source the axle elsewhere or even replace the hub directly with another XT or something like a pro 2.  The Whyte manual seems to indicate that i would be able to but i'm not sure.  Is the pro 2 upgrade worth it over XT?  Should I consider anything else considering if I were able to fit a Pro 2 it would be top of my budget?

I’m taking the wheel to Downlands later to get their advice but would like to be a little more in the know when I go along there so any advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance
OK after taking it in to Downlands it looks like a hub replacement will not be simple (24 spoke, dur!) so I'm going to have to wait for the axle to come in.  On the plus side it looks like i can swap a wheel directly so hopefully all is not lost in those 2 months!
whyte just use a standard quick release axle with bobbins attached rather than the usual QR levers. Any rear hub that uses standard axle should fit assuming its the right width (135mm?). I'm not sure if the QR axle is a standard length or not but you can easily check that.There have been a number of people that have had issues with the xt hub, they are fine so long as you check them regularly. Personally I would swap for the hope, they may be noisy but they are well sealed and easy to maintain when they do eventually wear out.
Of course that will mean a new wheel though!
[quote author=]whyte just use a standard quick release axle with bobbins attached rather than the usual QR levers. Any rear hub that uses standard axle should fit assuming its the right width (135mm?). I'm not sure if the QR axle is a standard length or not but you can easily check that.There have been a number of people that have had issues with the xt hub, they are fine so long as you check them regularly. Personally I would swap for the hope, they may be noisy but they are well sealed and easy to maintain when they do eventually wear out.
[/quote]

Thanks - that confirms what the guy at Downland said.  Hadn't heard about the XT hubs being too problematic before now.  Going to search for Pro 2 24 spoke hubs now but think i might be able to get away with a cheap fix (fingers crossed)!
Nick, I have an XT rear hub with a shot bearing race.
I wonder if the axle is similar.
I'll get the model number & try to work out if it'll help any.

I'm still waiting for my spares from Madison. I ordered mine 7/01/10.
Don't hold your breath!
"Tinc" Wrote:Nick, I have an XT rear hub with a shot bearing race.
I wonder if the axle is similar.
I'll get the model number & try to work out if it'll help any.

I'm still waiting for my spares from Madison. I ordered mine 7/01/10.
Don't hold your breath!

Thanks, i'll wait to see if its any use - fingers crossed!!
Ok it's actually a deore hub, my mistake!
FH-M525.
The tech doc you posted doesn't give details of the axle length, the tech doc for mine says 146mm axle with 10mm thread. I'd bet they aren't too different TBH.
I'm on my phone so adding the tech doc or having a proper look around isn't easy, but I'll back on a PC in the morning & I'll have a better look Wink  
Feel free to have a look & let me know what you find.  
Think I just spotted a minor difference.
Your cones are listed as M14, mine are M10.   Sad
That would make your axle 4mm bigger than mine :'(

I'll still check in the morning Wink
"Tinc" Wrote:Think I just spotted a minor difference.
Your cones are listed as M14, mine are M10.   Sad
That would make your axle 4mm bigger than mine :'(

I'll still check in the morning Wink

Boo that's a shame Sad  Fingers crossed you are mistaken but i doubt it!  Cheers for checking though
Now I'm really confused. Undecided
I have been through no end of tech docs & I can find no reference to what size your axle actually is.
Only the references to M14 cones, but some docs list full compatability with axles from other hubs which state M12 axles Undecided
Can you measure yours & let me know?

Try these people SBR, they say they have it in stock ;D
BUT - these are a branch of the same firm that said they had my B tension axle in stock >Sad
(Which has now been on order for 7 weeks >Sad >Sad >Sad)

Your other option is to find another hub, but that's doesn't look easy either as the normal FH-M775 comes back with a hub designed for J bent spokes!!!!