This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helicopter tape + Another Q
My Inbred is H Taped, was easy enough to put on but since I'm really not impressed, flaking around the edges, brittle etc...

So, bearing in mind the frame 'type' of the 5, ie, quite square... Do I Helicopter Tape it? (will be expensive me thinks!)

And also, it comes with Avid Elixir Brakes, which I've never used but you lot seem to rate them, I 'may' put them on the Inbred, and my SLX's on the 5, and sell the GT with the mechanicals from the Inbred. Had them off the other day and had a good clean, so no more sticky brakes now. Plenty powerfull so thinking good enough for a off road bike, just not the norm anymore.

Thoughts?
And whatever happens, the SLX's are going on the 5... Love those brakes!
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
"Papa Smurf" Wrote:Thoughts?

No. Aside from my dislike of copter taping. I will get somebody else to do it for me next time.

"Papa Smurf" Wrote:And whatever happens, the SLX's are going on the 5... Love those brakes!

Quite right. Its not worth trying the 5 with the Elixirs, despite everybody raving about them.  Wink

When does it arrive?
"Blackers" Wrote:No. Aside from my dislike of copter taping. I will get somebody else to do it for me next time.

Quite right. Its not worth trying the 5 with the Elixirs, despite everybody raving about them.  Wink

When does it arrive?
I've tried the SLX's on Jon's and Russ's bikes, and they really are rather good. I haven't tried Elixir's though so can't compare, but they are supposed to be a fair bit more powerful than Juicy's so might be worth a try on the 5 first.

What thickness tape did you go for, i seem to remember there are different thicknesses? If you got the thin take then it might be worth trying the thicker tape as that might be more hard wearing.  
Oh it's hard wearing, just not sticking too well around the edges and very brittle. Was quite thick the one I brought too. I'm thinking maybe a little bit on the basic places just to stop the excessive scratching etc. But on the other hand it's gonna get used, and I have no problem riding something that looks used.
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
I dont get it  - your buying a bike with elixirs on & your going to take them off straight away without bedding them in & trying them out???

I have elixir r on 1 bike & elixir cr mag on another - good brakes, try them.  
I've got nothing against them at all, but I love my SLX's and they're going on the 5, choice is do I sell the GT with mechanicals or nice shiny Elixirs, or do I keep them for myself... On a bike that doesn't really need them
Your be stupid not to put copter tape on a brand new frame, you must have brought rubbish stuff as its been fine on all of my frames. My new one is covered in the stuff.

Get it from bike tape.
Cheers just checked them out. Cheaper than the stuff I brought on ebay, and yet it's the same.

I'm thinking 10cm x 200... Probably need more 2 rolls of that, certainly dissapears quick!
And maybe 1 1m roll just to be sure... £50 blown easy.

I agree it's worth it, just not impressed with the stuff I have, which is proper 3M stuff
The stuff I bought off ebay is great, was a tenner or something for enough to do 1.5 frames. I used thicker stuff before and it would always peel off on the edges if the tubes were round.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...0453099921
yeh I think the general consensus is not getting suckered into getting the thick stuff.

I've got thick stuff on my downtube and is peeling and looking adequatly pants now. doing it's job though and I can't see it, so no great problem.