This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CCTV kits
I'm looking at buying a CCTV kit, preferably wireless with one or two cameras. Needs to be recordable, PIR activated (which I think they all are anyway) & the cameras need to be suitable for external use.. Anybody got any suggestions. Price wise £100-£150 would be good but can be fairly flexible if need be.
"Laggingbehind" Wrote:I'm looking at buying a CCTV kit, preferably wireless with one or two cameras. Needs to be recordable, PIR activated (which I think they all are anyway) & the cameras need to be suitable for external use.. Anybody got any suggestions. Price wise £100-£150 would be good but can be fairly flexible if need be.

Good luck with that - Wireless is very hit and miss (more often miss) unless spending lots of money.

We had a twin colour wireless kit for about that price, and it was pants.

We since moved to a colour wired one (which obviously comes with its own installation issues)

They may have moved on since, but im my experience if you want a proper system that works, then you need to spend some fair bit of cash.

Im currently working on rigging our wired one upto the PC as the camera is outside the office window.  Ive bought a PC card which can accept upto 4 cameras and record to the HDD when motion is sensed etc.

You may want to look at a HDD recorder with cameras, as PIR recording with 2 units isnt easy, especially if recording to VHS.
These are the ones I've found at a recent B&Q visit

/www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10647542&ecamp=trf-005&CAWELAID=417975586

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://nextday.diy.com/app/jsp/product/productPage.jsp?productId=85171">http://nextday.diy.com/app/jsp/product/ ... ctId=85171</a><!-- m -->
They have come a long way then - solid state recording in "kit form" is fairly new - we've had this camera for about 5yrs now.

I see nothing wrong with the second one.

From my experience of the wireless ones - they almost need a clear line of sight for good reception.  Again, this has probably improved somewhat from my experience.

128mb seems very small though, I would slap the biggest memory card you can in it.
&quot;BMJBOY&quot; Wrote:They have come a long way then - solid state recording in "kit form" is fairly new - we've had this camera for about 5yrs now.

I see nothing wrong with the second one.

From my experience of the wireless ones - they almost need a clear line of sight for good reception.  Again, this has probably improved somewhat from my experience.

128mb seems very small though, I would slap the biggest memory card you can in it.

The camera to receiver will be about 2mtr with a wall in between so hopefully that will be OK. I think it come with a 2Gb SD card as well
My distance was about 4m - but still needed to do an aerial dance to get good reception.

As mentioned, I think it'll be fine.
I think i've got a time lapse video recorder (24 hrs on a 3 hr tape) comes with one wired and one wireless camera if you're interested and possibly a quad multiplex too, thats if I can find them all. I'll take a look and update this post as and when.
&quot;jellylegs&quot; Wrote:I think i've got a time lapse video recorder (24 hrs on a 3 hr tape) comes with one wired and one wireless camera if you're interested and possibly a quad multiplex too, thats if I can find them all. I'll take a look and update this post as and when.

Super, I'd like to say I understood that... but sadly I didnt apart from the camera bit.  I have a recordable DVD player with 250gb hard drive if it could be wired to that somehow  Undecided