This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips for getting the most out of STW Classifieds
A few people now are looking for bikes, kit, accessories etc and no better place for MTB is the Singletrackworld Classifieds.

Here s little guide for something you can do to setup a "Feed" of these items on your desktop PC.

Firstly, why?

STW posts move VERY quickly, and some popular items sell within 10 minutes of being posted up - its crucial that you can get to information quickly and respond quickly

STW forum layout is crap : Its hard to navigate, tricky to keep up with, and listings are easily lost.

My little guide, will setup a system whereby you can view ALL STW listings and replies in real-time and setup searches and alerts to help you keep on top of whats going on, and get in quick for your dream bike at half price!  ;D

What do you need?

You need a computer running Microsoft Outlook (or Outlook Express)
An internet connection!

How does it work?

STW's Classifieds forum uses a term known as "RSS Feeds" which is a universal datatype to handle news items quickly - All good sites use RSS Feeds, its becoming the norm (even Sketchy has it)

You simply need to add STW's RSS Feed address into a "reader" in this case, I recommend Microsoft Outlook.

How do I do it?

(Example using Outlook 2003)

Goto:

TOOLS / ACCOUNT SETTINGS / RSS FEEDS (Tab) / NEW...

Outlook will ask for an address for the Feed - the address you need is:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/rs...lassifieds

This will now create what would look like an Inbox in your folders view.

Now, everytime you click SEND/RECEIVE, Outlook will download ALL current/new listings from STW in an easy to read Email format.

Imagine receiving an email for every listing - its a little like that.

Every listing is now searchable, using outlook's search you can now search the listings EASILY and in a view you can recognise.

You can now take this further - for instance:

You are looking for a pair of Avid Brakes - you can set up Rules and Alerts for outlook to "automatically" scan each downloaded message for "Avid brakes" and outlook will alert you automatically.

As you will appreciate, this box fills up quickly, so keep ontop of things be deleting the contents once a week or once you have read the listings.

Below is an example of my outlook page with the STW listings loaded in it...

As you can see its very much like an Email format, which makes viewing, searching and storing very easy indeed.

any questions, please ask.

Im pretty sure you can setup RSS Feeds in almost all modern email readers these days, including online accounts such as Hotmail, Gmail too.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
Less than 1 minute ago" />   
Interesting, will have to try this, it was always a joke but now it bounces to google if you want to search for anything its even worse! At least before you could search in classifieds only and just the title etc!

They are so fussy on prices, I sold something straight away the other day yet some other bits no replies at all despite me pointing out they are going for more on ebay so I adjusted my price to be lower than there even after taking into account what fees I would have to pay! So off to ebay with them tonight!!
Done. Bit annoying how it puts the subject as Username on then part wanted etc....can probably remove that with a rule
RSS yes Sketchy has it. It's very useful if you want to know what was going on with the site YESTERDAY. It's a bit slow with the reader built into firefox
Ok so I want to look for some part for my bike, can i set up and RSS feed on my mac if im using Firefox, Safari, or google chrome?

Also, if I want to place a wanted add, do you have any advice on this, anyone had any experiances?
If you use a Browser, such as Firefox, IE, Safari etc - you cant search, and you'll be limited to what you can read.

Im sure there must be a free reader (even Outlook) for Mac.

To post a WTD or FS - you need to join STW forum, login and post your advert.

Whether replying or adding to the forum, its always done via your browser on their site.

The above guide is to assist in "keeping up" with whats going on and allow you to search or setup alerts.
"BMJBOY" Wrote:If you use a Browser, such as Firefox, IE, Safari etc - you cant search, and you'll be limited to what you can read.

Im sure there must be a free reader (even Outlook) for Mac.

To post a WTD or FS - you need to join STW forum, login and post your advert.

Whether replying or adding to the forum, its always done via your browser on their site.

The above guide is to assist in "keeping up" with whats going on and allow you to search or setup alerts.

I disagree, Feedly for firefox allows you to search a single feed, all of your custom feeds or the web.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
"treaclesponge" Wrote:I disagree, Feedly for firefox allows you to search a single feed, all of your custom feeds or the web.

Arh - but thats a plugin - dont be pedantic!!  Big Grin