This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headset & Bottom Bracket Longevity
Possibly daft question - but whats the average lifespan of a headset?

Mines an integrated seal cartridge type jobby (dont ask my what kind, I have no idea even when I bought it!)

Ive just had to tighten it due to it feeling loose and some light knocking when holding the front brake on to test it.

It may just need a strip down and clean/lube Im guessing?

Im having the same issues with the BB too now....  Sad
Sealed headset should last a fair while... as for sealed BB, depending upon who's they are.
My Truvativ GXP External  bearings used to last about 4 months at £25 a shot. The Hope one lasted about 1 year but it wasnt the bearing that went it was the dust cap over the top... reminds me I must ring Hope to see if I can get new ones  
Headset-wise, I think Im gonna strip it all out - its probably full of over 1yrs crud anyway - I believe the sealed bearings are cheap enough to buy...

The bearings inside just drop in like these:
resim

Regards to BB : Thats a shimano HT2 external - easily 1.5yrs old now, so maybe a new one of those is required.

Do HOPE do a version?  Wink
"BMJBOY" Wrote:Headset-wise, I think Im gonna strip it all out - its probably full of over 1yrs crud anyway - I believe the sealed bearings are cheap enough to buy...

The bearings inside just drop in like these:
resim

Regards to BB : Thats a shimano HT2 external - easily 1.5yrs old now, so maybe a new one of those is required.

Do HOPE do a version?  Wink

yep
I've never had to replace headset bearings on any bike i've owned.  Had to tighten and clean once or twice but that's it.

BBs are a different matter - i go through them as quickly as Breezer goes through Disco brake pads!
I'll go cheapest route first - strip out and clean.

HT2 BB's are cheap enough (comparitively) so will probably get a new one.

Not much you can do with them AFAIK.

Unless MrLagging can get the ceramic bling hope ones for about £3.50 and some fluff.....
I have a serious hate/hate relationship with headsets. Only ones that have ever worked properly have been the ones on the old breezer, they would last for 5 years or so! Bottom brackets are also useless. I have solved my brake pad issues though, combination of intensive bedding in process coupled with then not riding the bike for weeks seems to make them last longer lol
So to sound daft once again:

The fact Ive had to tighten my headset up, is not a sign its on the way out???

Just a time/loosening thing?
Bearings will loosen a bit with age so you may be ok for a while.
I have just had to replace my bearing on the HT - the bottom one on eth head set.  I tried packing with grease 1st, it improved but was still poor.  The replacement was just about £8

Nice and smooth now.