This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS
Ok so looking into getting a gps unit and looking at the garmin models, which is a good one to start out with for being able to load routes onto and get data off. Is it handy having one that displays a map? Any help much appreciated!
I have the 705, the map is pretty rubbish in my opinion but the unit itself is great.  I'd def recommend it.
First running with maps now this oh dear lol. There are billions of garmins but only some have proper OS maps, the other maps are totally useless unless doing simple guiding which I dont think is what you want. You want OS level like I do for exploring etc but there is a new garmin for that and also memory map make one now, all a lot of money though
Ive recently got a 705 after much deliberation between this and a Satmap.

You can get "open source" maps for the 705 - like I have, and you get maps on it as good (or better) than OS - as the open source maps "can" show you local trails.

With thinks to a  few members on here, Kent has pretty much a sh1tload of MTB trails marked out!!

For instance : Mereworth Woods, our very own Mr Blackers has mapped this for us!
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.270...rs=B000FTF

I now have this map on my 705  - FOR FREE

I had a 305 which I was hard to part with - its an excellent device, but doesnt have a map, but you can load courses on to follow the trail on screen.

Depends what your budget is like.

All garmins will record your ride/run and allow you to store it etc.

DGW15 - If you want these maps on your system, grab yourself a cheap 2gb MicroSD card, and give me a shout - its very easy to do!
You can get the 305 to guide you, rather than trying to follow a line on the screen.
It functions like a kind of TomTom with less sophistication.
Needs a lot of homework first though.

I use the 305 for data recording & follwing predetermined routes.  It is useless if you get lost though. :o

(I keep threatening to write this up - I will I promise Undecided)
Agree with Breezer. If you are happy to follow other peoples routes, or you pretty much know where you are all of the time a regular garmin will be fine. If you want to truly go 'off piste' then there is nothing better than OS, be it Memory map, Satmap or whoever. Mine has properly saved my ass when the light was fading and a storm was closing in, I was able to navigate off the high exposed ground to a friendly campsite a few miles away, this just isnt possible without proper OS mapping.
Mmm thanks for the advice then guys, think i will keep on looking for a while and ask around a bit, its just i was planning on riding around surry woods and do a few more exploritory rides after work on fridays now its getting light and wanted to try the route i had found on the online mag but might just print it out for now and use my os map with a compass! lol
Budget wise, I got a Garmin Edge 205 from ebay recently @ £70
Basically a 305 without heart rate & cadence ability, or barometric altimeter.
You can load on routes, such as the IMBikeMag Surrey Hills .gpx, and it'll guide you to a point, though I'm sure something like a 605 or 705 would be better.
For the money though, it's a great piece of kit, and the lack of altimeter/wheel based speedo makes little odds in reality mate.

Check the attachment, just imported a 10m road ride into SportTracks, it pulls in accurate elevation data when importing rides.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
Less than 1 minute ago" />   
"Jay Dubster" Wrote:Budget wise, I got a Garmin Edge 205 from ebay recently @ £70
Basically a 305 without heart rate & cadence ability, or barometric altimeter.
You can load on routes, such as the IMBikeMag Surrey Hills .gpx, and it'll guide you to a point, though I'm sure something like a 605 or 705 would be better.
For the money though, it's a great piece of kit, and the lack of altimeter/wheel based speedo makes little odds in reality mate.

Check the attachment, just imported a 10m road ride into SportTracks, it pulls in accurate elevation data when importing rides.

So using the software you can import elevation data retrospectively?
It uses Google Earths Topo data I beleive..

When i import my 305 or 705s data in, theres a conflict of opinion between actual what was ridden, and what Google says.

Its perfect enough for riding to see the climbing info though.

I love SportTracks - best bit of software for storing your ride and fitness data.