This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TDF 2011
Had an annoying cousin message me on facebook, she wants to take her dad to see the TDF in 2011 for his 60th.

Am i right in thinking  they dont release the stages until this years has finished? she wanted to try and see it at either an england or beligium stage if there is one.

Thanks
Well its not starting over here but in western France, they normally go anti clockwise around France so that may mean they will miss the north out?
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/440033/2011-tour-de-france-to-start-in-vendee-region.html">http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... egion.html</a><!-- m -->
If the 2011 TDF comes here it might be worth going to see, but Belgium! :o
For that they'd need to get on a TT stage or one of the lap based stages.

Watching the TDF pass on the flat is a very brief day out unless you actually want to go to see the "caravan" & collect freebies as that last much longer than the peleton passing at 40kph.

To see the TDF & experience it you either need to be on a climb or on the Champs Elysees.
This way the riders pass either strung out or again & again & again & aga..........

Paris isn't as expensive as you'd imagine TDF weekend if you book early & sort it yourself.
You also have the advantage that when the bikes have gone you're in Paris. ;D
Belgium, ugh!
I second that Tinc, i went to see it the other year when it was over here, was waiting near the bridge at Maidstone, within the matter of 20 seconds it was all over.

But at least when it was all over i was in MaidstoneBig Grin
&quot;BorderCollieSam&quot; Wrote:within the matter of 20 seconds it was all over.

Story of my life...........   Sad

A supplier of mine had a TDF party as it went past his house when it was here - said exactly the same - over too quickly, but f*ck me theyre quick!

Id personally want to go to a mountain stage where all the nutters get within 5inches of them...
We cycled over to Wateringbury and watched it outside a pub. The pre Pelaton Caravan goes on for ages before the bikes arrive! lots of sweeties and goodies thrown to the masses but the riders pass by in a blur.
Mrs Abzz works with the wife of a keen roadie couple. They always go over to france (with their bikes) for a few days and plan their veiwing carefully so they can see the same stage pass by at least twice.
I rode to France a couple of years back to watch them in the northern stages, Dunkerque etc and the time trial was seriously impressive. So fast and still looked fairly effortless. As you say on a normal stage the riders are gone in seconds but the caravan is worth experiencing as is the atmosphere.

After the riders went past a few guys behind me ducked through a door to watch on TV and tapped a few of us to come in too. In we went, sat down only to realise we were in someones front room with a bunch of strangers while his wife served us tea and cake!
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
&quot;BMJBOY&quot; Wrote:Story of my life...........   Sad

A supplier of mine had a TDF party as it went past his house when it was here - said exactly the same - over too quickly, but f*ck me theyre quick!

Id personally want to go to a mountain stage where all the nutters get within 5inches of them...

Oh Dear, sounds like BMJBoy wants to wear his Gladiator Costume and chase after Lance Armstrong up a hill with a Stake in his hand! Big Grin
&quot;treaclesponge&quot; Wrote:I rode to France a couple of years back

Whats your name GOD?

I bet you turn water into Wine too! Big Grin
Devil costume dear boy...

resim