This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Road Bike build project
Firstly im very sorry but this post goes against everything i ever intended to do, im thinking about buying a road bike  :'(

A friend is upgrading his frame, his is going to sell me his frame, wheels and stem for £50, possibly include the forks for £60 for the lot.

I dont know what frame it is, never paid any notice, the reason im going to buy it is for a summer commuter for daily ride to work, about 35 miles round trip.

I dont want to spend a fortune but need to have an idea of how much it will cost me to build it up, i have no experience in road bikes as far as mechanics goes, purpose of the post is to get an idea of how much it will cost to build the bike up to a spec that will be fit for purpose.

If its going to cost a fortune i wont buy the bits from him.

So advice please . . . .

P.S Breezer i realise riding my mountain bike each day will be better for fitness and all the usual interesting facts you mention but riding a 32lb full sus on 2.35 nobblys 34 miles every day along rode isnt much fun  Tongue
[Breezer mode] get some Kenda Small Block 8's.... sorted Wink [/Breezer mode]
"Treehugger" Wrote:[Breezer mode] get some Kenda Small Block 8's.... sorted [/Breezer mode] Wink

I thought about that too, thats the other option, buy a light second wheel set for the marin and run semi slicks on it, then it would be easy to change over. But it will still weigh a tonne !!!
What about a hybrid build ? CHeap frame + Rigid carbon forks + Slicks

Im sick of my road bike atm, Really shakes me about now we live in town !

Infact i know someone selling a On-one frame Wink
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:What about a hybrid build ? CHeap frame + Rigid carbon forks + Slicks

Im sick of my road bike atm, Really shakes me about now we live in town !

Infact i know someone selling a On-one frame Wink

Ill give the frame a miss cheers, its not a road bike or a race light hard tail, and its too big for me. More i think about this the more i think its a bad idea, it really would be easiest for the commute though, maybe i should look at a hard tail which i can use for XC races but still loads lighter that full sus

Anyway . . . . advice ?
Cost depends entirely on what he has & how you build it, but there is an easy & super cheap way to get the comfyest commuter in the world.
Get yourself to a boot fair & buy an old steel framed racer, expect to pay £20 or £30.
Get a pair of flat bars (£6), brake levers (£10), grips (£5) & maybe new cables (£9) - that's it, £60 sorted!
(quoted price assumes base bike has good tyres, wheels, brake blocks & saddle Wink)

[edit] can do it for next to nowt if you post an old bits wanted ad on here or STW [edit]
it would be cheaper to bye a complete bike if its just for going to and from work. something like this

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Road-Bike_W0QQitemZ130370565785QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bikes_GL?hash=item1e5ab0f699">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Road-Bike_W0QQite ... 1e5ab0f699</a><!-- m -->
my twopenneth:

I'm glad I bought a road bike as it opens a whole new avenue of cycling (literally)

for a commuter with daily use, it might be worth spending a little more on componentry for reliability.
hah
You can run a small block 8 on the rear all summer btw, I even used mine at the start of winter, you dont need so much grip on the back as you just drift it, I wouldnt run one on the front though unless serious hardpack use only. Slicks make a massive difference on a mtb so a 2nd set of wheels may be cheaper but then you need to swap them and have drivetrain wear issues to think about...