This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
£1000 road bike
Ok, so its the time of year when we can all go get a new bike on the cycle to work scheme. Need one under a grand that i can get at halford which is going to be strong enough for me, so non of that carbon stuff.......

Any suggestion on what to look at?
Boardman Team Carbon - £999.99

Cant see it not being strong enough?
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
do carbon forks have a weight limit for the rider
Maybe but would be different for all so would need to check. Why do you want a road bike? Just put slicks on one of your mtb's and use that. Wont be quite as quick but surely fine for some exercise as afterall, when its light and dry in the evenings, surely you will be riding up and down BBH etc on your mtb for fun/fitness?
Looking at kona jake the snake, good 105 spec, and it doesn't seem to have a weight limit
"Breezer" Wrote:Maybe but would be different for all so would need to check. Why do you want a road bike? Just put slicks on one of your mtb's and use that. Wont be quite as quick but surely fine for some exercise as afterall, when its light and dry in the evenings, surely you will be riding up and down BBH etc on your mtb for fun/fitness?

Eoad biking is all about the SPEEEDDDD

Plus it means I can seel my handjob to pay for my new nicolai
"Breezer" Wrote:. Why do you want a road bike Bla Bla bla-dy Bla

FFS Breezer you are like a stuck CD  :Smile (notice subtle update from stuck record)
Let Ian get a road bike if he wants one. Stop oppressing us part time roadies  >Sad Wink
"ianpinder" Wrote:Eoad biking is all about the SPEEEDDDD

Plus it means I can seel my handjob to pay for my new nicolai

False economy surely selling 1 bike but spunking out on a road bike.

I'd seriously consider just specing up your handjob as a road bike, slicks etc.  As you know geometry is totally different to a road bike so if your putting road miles on the MTB then youll get MTB fit if you know what I mean.  Even the top XC riders spend large amount of time on the road with their MTB slicked up.
No its not a false economy, I think the handjob is to small, plus because its cycle to work I only pay about 600 for the bike. which i can easily sell the hj for more. also i need to build up the nic now and the kona is paid monthly through slaray sacrifice
"treaclesponge" Wrote:Boardman Team Carbon - £999.99

Cant see it not being strong enough?

+1 I love mine, the gear shifters take some getting used to but ultimately it all works well... except the cr4ppy conti ultra tyres but my new training tyres are here so no longer an issue ;D