This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
45 Mile Road Ride Yesterday
Hi guys, went for a 45 mile road ride yesterday with a road cycling club.

There were 10 of us, two guys aged 70 and 72!

One was a previous British cycling champion, can't remember his name though, and they were both super fit, had been riding all of their lives, they did not look a day over 50, incredible shape, they were fully in control of their bikes as well, they were at the front of the pack on the way out, they were doing no handed at some point whilst getting their gear out of the back of their jerseys, and also had one hand over the back of the others shoulder a couple of times, twisting 180 degrees around no handed whilst riding to check on the other riders behind.

They were super fit i couldn't believe how fast they were riding, we hit 28 miles per hour at one point on a flat!

They were the Fast Intermediates, a few guys were in their 30's, a couple in their 50's, and these other super fit doods in their 70's, they were in perfect shape, both physically and mentally, I was fine for about 14 miles, i thought this is a doddle, then all of a sudden they picked up the pace and they were off!

I was clinging on for dear life behind them, i was going all out, and still couldn't stay with them on the hills.

When we were in the cafe, i asked them how much they weigh, they only weighed 11 stone!  One guy was 9.5 stone, i said i'm 17stone!!!  Thats like carrying my eldest 9 year old on your back whilst riding!

I'm determined to get this weight off now!

It was a really good ride, i made it back 'luckily' and i felt like i had worked like i've never ever worked before!

I realise that i'll never be 11 stone, i'm just not designed to be that weight, i was 13.5 stone about 10 years ago and looking back at the photos i looked gaunt in the face, looked really ill....
Well done mate! I love riding with faster people, there's no better way of improving your fitness, that's one of the reasons I like riding with KT. I'm always hanging on to the back wheel of the faster guys, and occasionally thrashing them up a nearly 500 foot hill like today Smile I'm sure I would be nowhere neer as fast if riding on my own. Keep riding with them and the weight will fall off in no time.
+1 for Treehugger's view on improvement.  The best way to improve your riding & get fitter is to ride with those better/quicker than you.
I really like riding with the older guys as well.  There is so much to learn there & I find them really inspirational.

Keep this up & you'll be eating burgers for breakfast to maintain your weight ;D
They are truly inspirational, and they were also teaching me how to slipstream properly, as i was keeping behind them but not close enough, they kept saying 'bit closer', 'bit more to the left/right', etc., etc., and i could really feel the benefit was helping me a lot as prior to that i was about 50ft behind them struggling to catch them up!  After however, i was able to stick with them pretty easily, and they said that by riding as far behind the group as i was on my home, is like riding on your own in a headwind, and that i can easily reduce my heart rate by 20 bpm just by riding in the group and letting the group pull me along....

Its a little embarassing though realising that you can't keep up with guys twice your age in their 70's!!!

Also, don't know if you guys can help here:-

I'm not blaming my inability to keep up with those guys on this, however i am presently running Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires on my wheels as i was getting too many punctures when on training rides in the mornings before work, and although they are really good and puncture resistant, they have severely slowed the bike down on the hill climbs.

Ideally i would want to change the tires back over to my Vittorias when i ride with a group, and also the sportive i've got coming up, however the problem is, i can't get these tires on and off very easy, due to the design of the tire, it has a 1/4 inch deep piece of springy rubber running around the tire, and it took me 45 minutes and the cost of a tube, due to pinching the tube trying to get the tire onto the rim, however i read about 1 guy who was pulling his hair out as he had been trying to get his tire on for over 7 hours and still hadn't done it!

So - to get to the point, i'm after another set of road wheels, just a cheap training set, so i can put the Marathon plus on the training wheels and the vittorias on my Bontrager wheels, so then all i need to do is swap the wheels over when i ride a sportive or a group ride.

Do you guys know where i can pick a cheap pair up from?  I'm not really that familiar with what will fit my bike?  I know they have to be 700c and i've got a 9 speed bike, however the wheels sometimes don't come with quick release or skewers or cassette, so i'm a little lost with regard to what i need, and what cassette will fit the wheels i decide to get?

Any help would be appreciated...
"BorderCollieSam" Wrote:So - to get to the point, i'm after another set of road wheels, just a cheap training set, so i can put the Marathon plus on the training wheels and the vittorias on my Bontrager wheels, so then all i need to do is swap the wheels over when i ride a sportive or a group ride.

Do you guys know where i can pick a cheap pair up from?  I'm not really that familiar with what will fit my bike?  I know they have to be 700c and i've got a 9 speed bike, however the wheels sometimes don't come with quick release or skewers or cassette, so i'm a little lost with regard to what i need, and what cassette will fit the wheels i decide to get?

Any help would be appreciated...

Pop onto SingletrackWorld Classifieds (or Ebay)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/forum/classifieds">http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/forum/classifieds</a><!-- m -->

Join up, and post a "OT WTD" (Off Topic Wanted ad) and ask for a set of road wheels.

I imagine you will get a same-day response.

If you simply ask for a set of 700c wheels, you can worry about which cassette later.

Do be aware though, that running 2 different wheelsets will mean some mech adjustment EVERY time you change wheels (I tried this with my MTB)
Was it SFACC you were riding with perchance?

Re weheels, Decathlon have some very cheap wheels in, I've never tried them but they look pretty decent for the money  8)

Cheers,

Chris Smile
Well done Soni, and don't feel bad, those old fella's have 60 years constant riding behind them!
Good thinkin on the race & training wheel setup too man, good luck purchasing Smile

Also remember Ebay is your friend;
don't know if these would suit; 700c wheels, shimano, mavic
&quot;BMJBOY&quot; Wrote:Do be aware though, that running 2 different wheelsets will mean some mech adjustment EVERY time you change wheels (I tried this with my MTB)

Woops, hadnt thought of this, will only be indexing and a couple of turns of the barrell adjuster though wont it?
&quot;Murv&quot; Wrote:Was it SFACC you were riding with perchance?

Re weheels, Decathlon have some very cheap wheels in, I've never tried them but they look pretty decent for the money  8)

Cheers,

Chris Smile

It was indeed, i shall give Decathalon a look in to mate thanks! Smile
&quot;Jay Dubster&quot; Wrote:Well done Soni, and don't feel bad, those old fella's have 60 years constant riding behind them!
Good thinkin on the race & training wheel setup too man, good luck purchasing Smile

Also remember Ebay is your friend;
don't know if these would suit; 700c wheels, shimano, mavic

Thanks Jay, is it easy enough to get a proper cassette to fit any wheel?  Also i notice some say 'freehub'???

Just a little worried i end up buying something not compatible?