This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MTB Slicks required
As title suggests, I'm gonna need some slicks for the L2B and possibly another charidy road bash this summer :B

I'd rather avoid 1.5" tyres as I think they'd look daft on me hardtail,
so I was gonna get a pair of Specialized Fast Trak Pro's, but figure they'd prolly be slow n heavy compared to proper slicks.

Some USEFUL advice please !! Tongue
Schwalbe City Jets - come up fairly "fat" in profile - but slick enough to slide on to victory.

on top of that, cheap as chips.
specialized nimbus armadillo tyre as hard as nails. i did the L2B with those and they were perfect.
Cheers Ben & Mark!

Ben, do you run 1.5 or 1.95 Schwalbes?
Found em on ebay about £20/pair delivered, which rocks man!
About same for the 1.5" Nimbus tyres too.
the spesh ones have armadillo treatment and are bloody hard to puncher so ideal for that event.......
"Jay Dubster" Wrote:Cheers Ben & Mark!

Ben, do you run 1.5 or 1.95 Schwalbes?
Found em on ebay about £20/pair delivered, which rocks man!

1.95 - although I also so have some 1.5 Michelin "Somethings" which have some more grip on which are OK.

They are a bugger to mount imho though - but great stuff.

They dont have any funky armour in though like Marks suggestion - Ive had 1 puncture in them though ever, and that was a pretty hefty clout nail.
Ok, considering you have both 1.5 & 1.95 slicks, which do you prefer riding?
"Jay Dubster" Wrote:Ok, considering you have both 1.5 & 1.95 slicks, which do you prefer riding?

Doesnt matter - either are fine.

1.5 would be faster overall in direct comparison.

If you are going slicks - do it properly - you're buying them for road speed.

I only have these wider City Jets because they are "technically" MrsBoys, but Ive used them more.

I only have the 1.5 becuase they are on permanant loan from a mate who no longer rides.
I'd give bontrager road warriors 1.5 a try. Just my opinion, think they're about fifteen quid a pair. [edit] schoolboy error on the price - should read fifteen quid each - sorry [edit]
I used 1.5 or smaller for L2B last year on the Kraken... they were great, I was pretty damn quick with the wider gearing I fitted... was great fun. Unfortunately one of them got damaged on a Whitstable ride - half way up the hill from canterbury station to Blean >Sad Knackered the sidewall.... patched it on the inside and kept going then swapped front & rear when resting at the seaside.