This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TranceX Pivot Bolt
As mentioned on my Fox/Mojo thread - I now have a new problem.

Yesterday when collecting my bike, I drove the bike (in the van) back to my house and within that space of time, the pivot bolt was found rolling around the bottom of the van - totally sheared  Wink

Ive sent these pics to LBS, and spoke to him, he's contacting Giant now.

Not overly pleased, as these things just dont "go" and comments back from LBS is that he gave them all the once over and tightened etc - so Im assuming too tight. Sad

I hadnt even sat on or ridden the bike, so I cannot point to a trail issue from last night.

Poor quality pics attached.......

I only need the bolt for the moment, Im heamorraging money everywhere at the moment and cant keep chasing such problems.

Im hoping the LBS will admit some mild fault though.....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
Less than 1 minute ago" />    Less than 1 minute ago" />    Less than 1 minute ago" />    Less than 1 minute ago" />   
Cant find a set specifically for yours and ones for other giants are not thinner in the middle like yours which is a bit odd, no idea why they would do that, plus the complete packs are £25 odd so probably best to measure with a proper (!) vernier gauge and go to that namrick place I mentioned or other to get a single bolt

or email uk importer for one, I did that with Magura before for the rear shock on my old 5 Spot and they sent me some new rose joint shock bushes free which should have been £30 odd! (shock was no longer sold admittedly)
And everyone poo poo'd my suggestion of a torque wrench!  Wink

In all seriousness I would go screaming back to the LBS to ask him what he is going to do about it. You have paid him to do a job and he's created another one that potentially could have been a lot more serious if you had been riding. I would be expecting him to admit that and fix it for nothing ASAP.

Also I would be checking all the other bolts that he 'went over' to make sure that everything else is as it should be. Your carbon bars for example...
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
The bolt didn't fall out in the van on the way to the LBS, so can be assumed as delivered in good condition.
LBS stated they tightened it so it can't have been sheared then.
So unless you loaded it into the van with a bigger bump than you've ever given it on the trail it happened, without doubt, whilst the bike was with the LBS.

They need to provide a replacement or pay for it.

[boring mode] Incidentally, getting techincal, that bolt is in double shear, making it immensly strong to normal riding forces.  It is only likely to fail due to a material or manufacturing fault (too old now) or from over extension which can only happen by over tightening Wink [/boring mode]
"Breezer" Wrote:Cant find a set specifically for yours and ones for other giants are not thinner in the middle like yours which is a bit odd, no idea why they would do that, plus the complete packs are £25 odd so probably best to measure with a proper (!) vernier gauge and go to that namrick place I mentioned or other to get a single bolt

or email uk importer for one, I did that with Magura before for the rear shock on my old 5 Spot and they sent me some new rose joint shock bushes free which should have been £30 odd! (shock was no longer sold admittedly)

Its this isnt it??

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/trance...ivots.html

@Treacle : I discussed this with Tinc last night, he has a Torque wrench, I will be offering him cake and a cuddle to help me get this up on a stand and go over them all.

I quoted that the LBS and gone over and "tightened" up and checked them all and he winced.......

Oh well...

The LBS is onto it, but I will be discussing how "I" couldve sheared a bolt while driving the bike in a van all of half a mile.

Mistakes happen I know, but it just needs sorting now.
Those bolts look same diameter the whole length though whereas yours is concave (?) in the middle? but prob doesnt matter?

Must have taken extreme tightening to break it as I would have thought they would be high tensile but then SteveT broke one on his Carrera at fowlmead...
"BMJBOY" Wrote:Its this isnt it??

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/trance...ivots.html

@Treacle : I discussed this with Tinc last night, he has a Torque wrench, I will be offering him cake and a cuddle to help me get this up on a stand and go over them all.

I quoted that the LBS and gone over and "tightened" up and checked them all and he winced.......

Oh well...

The LBS is onto it, but I will be discussing how "I" couldve sheared a bolt while driving the bike in a van all of half a mile.

Mistakes happen I know, but it just needs sorting now.

Not something like that by someone who is supposed to be a 'professional' If it was you I would just put this down to experience and the need to buy the right tool for the job rather than guessing. But a mechanic in a bike shop should be able to afford the correct tools for the job and use them accordingly. No excuses.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Hes just phoned me... interesting information he just gave me too....

Giant are sending a replacement out for free.  Trouble is, it takes 3-4 days as they come from Holland.

He spoke to a Warranty guy, who said they are sending many out all the time, and his comments elluded to a defect, as the guy simply told him "we send them all out for free as so many fail"

To be honest, not sure of the whole debarcle - but if its being sorted for free, I dont care hows its done.

Sounds like Giant know their pivot bolt threads are made of cheese then? - Probably Edam if from Holland.

So, better news at least.

This gives me a few days to strip the bike down and get everything clean and free of cr@p.
"Breezer" Wrote:Those bolts look same diameter the whole length though whereas yours is concave (?) in the middle? but prob doesnt matter?

Must have taken extreme tightening to break it as I would have thought they would be high tensile but then SteveT broke one on his Carrera at fowlmead...

They'll be aluminium.  There's no real load on the bolt as it has bearings are at either end, therefore the reduction will be a weight/stiction/production issue.
Equally there is no requirement for a high tensile fixing as the fixing is in double shear & supported by two bearings.
Note the original fixing bolt is short & only inserts 30mm or so.  The replacement kit offers a much longer bolt that goes further into the sleeve - much better arrangement.
Giant did it the other way to use the same short bolt in all 3 places on the uper link.

I can't find the torque recommendations for this, but I'll bet it's quite low.  On top of that the only way to check a ali bolt properly is to remove it, clean it, grease it, thread lock it & torque it up.
Giving it a "nip" is the sort of thing that happens in garages in Chatham - not in a LBS you are paying. Wink
Proper French bikes have the torque values written on the anodized caps  Tongue   ie can see on my upper pivot one http://www.complexdreams.com/pics/bikes/...mg3809.jpg