This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Riding in Scotland?!
Hey all has anyone made the trip (drive) to Scotland with their bike to experience the native tracks? Maybe you went to some decent trail centres or did the coast to coast, on your own or in a group?
I booked a guided 3 day ride around the Lake District a few years ago and would like to do something Similar in Scotland this year so just trying to get a bit of a heads up, thanks Oli.
Think I've riden all the trail centres there are to offer?, and found glentress and Innerleithen the best by far for the trail centres. As for the more wild natural riding, I would say head to fort William (Ben Nevis) or above to the highlands. The lower part of Scotland ie seven stans didn't really float me boat apart from the two trail centres I mentioned above.
Hope this helps and maybe even makes sense?
Same here, I lived in Glasgow and used to make the trip to glentress and Innerleithen as often as possible. The natural trails around Aberfoyle north of Glasgow are good, but you'd need a local to find them, the Isle of Aran is also good riding but not waymarked so you'd need a guidebook or better still, a Local buddy. Just out of Glasgow is mugdock park, tonnes of good single track but again, natural and unmarked.

Hit glentress and Inners, 5 Miles apart and loads of fun
Keep it foolish...
Yes very helpful and on your recommendations I went to the 7stanes website detailing glentress and Innerleithen including accommodation info which does look pretty awesome. For a first time trip on my own, the trail centres sounds best so the plan is to stay in a nearby forest lodge and spend a day riding at each Smile
OliM Wrote:Yes very helpful and on your recommendations I went to the 7stanes website detailing glentress and Innerleithen including accommodation info which does look pretty awesome. For a first time trip on my own, the trail centres sounds best so the plan is to stay in a nearby forest lodge and spend a day riding at each Smile

All I will add is that if you do that, you'll love it!
I loved Glentress and Inners, have very fond memories of our trip up there years ago.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.glentressforestlodges.co.uk/folder-3-our-wigwams">http://www.glentressforestlodges.co.uk/ ... ur-wigwams</a><!-- m -->

log cabins at Glentress, very nice, basic but warm and comfy. Like Treehugger.
Keep it foolish...
alkali Wrote:http://www.glentressforestlodges.co.uk/f...ur-wigwams

log cabins at Glentress, very nice, basic but warm and comfy. Like Treehugger.
Haha Big Grin
I went to the Lake District for the first time earlier this year and really wanted to do a non-trail centre ride so bought a Garmin Edge 210 so I could upload a GPX route to it and follow a breadcrumb trail. The 210 dosn't show a map at all just a route. I think cheaper Garmins also offer the breadcrumb trail feature too.

I searched forums such as STW for routes in the area I was visiting and then pieced together bits and pieces to form my own route while inspecting satellite imagery as well as maps. I placed waypoint markers on the GPX to give me clues about turnings rather than corners etc. You can use an online service to create a route to follow or PC software like Viking GPS.

On the ride I made a few wrong turns but enjoyed it enough to do it again a few days later. I had a map as backup in case I got lost. Would recommend this if you're feeling like you want a bit more adventure than a trail centre. I played it safe though and only did this one route, twice, and the trail centre the rest of the time.