This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torque Wrenches
Morning All -

What with all the recent discussion about snapped bolts, faulty this and that, Im looking to invest in a Torque wrench - as man-maths states it should save me time and money from shearing more bolts etc.

I had a promotional email from Tooltime:

"For ONE day only, starting at 8am on Wednesday morning until midnight

You can get FREE SHIPPING on anything in the entire store over only £5.

That's everything in the entire 5000+ product store up for grabs - drills, DIY gear, home furnishing, garden equipment, gifts, gadgets, anything you like.

Plus - as an extra we're throwing in another 10% discount on the whole lot.

Sound good? Here's what you need to do next.
Pop over to Tooltime.co.uk any time between 8am Wednesday (the 24th March) and midnight, add anything over £5 to your cart and you'll be eligible for BOTH offers automatically."

I had a quick look (mainly for a toolbox!) but found Torque Wrenches:

http://www.tooltime.co.uk/shoppingcart/s...ue&x=0&y=0

Now, looking at the ft-Lbs requirement for my Stem and Suspension parts - ALL of these are TOO HIGH in strength - I need a lower range range.

For instance:

Stem : 1.6nm / 15-in-lbs
Suspension Bolts: 78-95in-lbs  & 104-130 in-lbs respectivly.

I think im right in thinking those tools are too much for a bike - but worth checking (as theyre cheap)

If anyone has any other finds or suggestions, post them up please.

(and FT and FT+1 comments will be deleted!)  Wink
For bike bits you will need a 1/4" torque wrench, but even then with that low torque settings I think you will struggle to find a cheap (ie under £30 unit)

When we are using that low torques at work, we have to set up special small torque wrenches that don't have a scale on them using the calibration gauge,
CRC is the best bike specific ones Ive found so far mate. About £35 for a decent looking one. Just waiting till payday before I get myself one
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Low range torque wrench - that the term used for these things. This one for example does 5 to 25 Nm.

http://www.toolsheduk.com/Q/17731/22/402...inchD.html
"redwinnie" Wrote:Low range torque wrench - that the term used for these things. This one for example does 5 to 25 Nm.

http://www.toolsheduk.com/Q/17731/22/402...inchD.html

About my budget Winnie - nice find.

Will need to look into these a lot more I think though........
I think you will really need two,  one for the smaller ranges such as stem etc and a larger one for cassettes, bottom brackets and some suspension bolts. Screw fix so some cheap
Wrench

2-24Nm/17.70in-lbs - 212.42in-lbs

Should do nearly any nut on your bike for under £30
"treaclesponge" Wrote:Wrench

Out of stock!
"treaclesponge" Wrote:Wrench

Looks good to me! I dont know what I'm looking for but what sort of kit/fittings would I need, anyone know of a box of them?
I particually wanna get one now due to everything coming supertightly done up on the 5, I mean literally hung on by the mechanic, so I wanna slacken it off and do it all properly before something gives
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
Picky picky!

How about this one then - Sealey

EDIT: And one of these to go with it - Hex Adaptor