This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caliper Thread
I've just taken my front and rear brakes off the frame of the bike so I can fit the adaptors for bigger discs. The front was fine. The back wasn't. The thread in the frame has completely gone, it appears to have come out on the bolt. The holes on the frame are now completely bare, you can pass the bolt or allen key straight through it!! Is this a common problem, can it be re-threaded?

If not is the frame fcuked?  Undecided
"mashley" Wrote:I've just taken my front and rear brakes off the frame of the bike so I can fit the adaptors for bigger discs. The front was fine. The back wasn't. The thread in the frame has completely gone, it appears to have come out on the bolt. The holes on the frame are now completely bare, you can pass the bolt or allen key straight through it!! Is this a common problem, can it be re-threaded?

If not is the frame fcuked?  Undecided

Ash you donut ! There isnt any thread in the frame, the bolt should pass through easily, The thread is in the adaptor, What looks to be the thread in the bolt is threadlocking solution Big Grin

Ive just tried to call you to let you know ... So dont worry about the calls !
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:Ash you donut ! There isnt any thread in the frame, the bolt should pass through easily, The thread is in the adaptor, What looks to be the thread in the bolt is threadlocking solution Big Grin

Ive just tried to call you to let you know ... So dont worry about the calls !

I was trying to bolt it back together wrong then?....................goes to try again!!!  :B
"mashley" Wrote:I was trying to bolt it back together wrong then?....................goes to try again!!!  :B

The adaptor goes on the side of the disc mount nearest the wheel, You then place the bolt through the frame and it screws into the adaptor !
Feel free to all  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin at me! Cheers for the head up Steve. All done now! My bike now has 203mm front and 180mm rear discs on. At least i've learnt something today!
"mashley" Wrote:Feel free to all  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin at me! Cheers for the head up Steve. All done now! My bike now has 203mm front and 180mm rear discs on. At least i've learnt something today!

No worries matey, glad you've got it sorted Smile
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin :K)
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin (just the sort of thing I would do)  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Don't give up your day job Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Ah i bet the embarrasment isnt as bad as thinking you need a new frame though !