This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disk Brake cleaner?
I'm planning a major bike overhaul very shortly, which means a total stripdown and cleaning all my parts, then I'll set to work on the bike too! Wink

I've never used a disk brake cleaner, just the very sparse degreasing with meths when I've had issues.

anyone got any opinions on if a specific cleaner is worth it, or if isopropyl alchohol will do the same job?

would a general use car brake cleaner do the same job?

advice welcome, as I don't fancy nausing up my hydraulic seals etc.
I bought a can of isopropyl to do my forks and thought I'd give the discs a squirt too.. :o    I hadn't realised quite how much they were contaminated.  It was like I'd put new pads in and bedded them all over again ;D
Disc brake cleaners are predominantly ipa anyway so save a couple of quid. Ade where did you get yours from?
"pittgoat" Wrote:Disc brake cleaners are predominantly ipa anyway so save a couple of quid. Ade where did you get yours from?

Maplins.  Ã‚£7.49 for a 450ml spray can.  I was a bit of a doubter uhntil I saw how squeeky clean it leaves things.
If anyone was interested, we could setup a group buy for Disk Brake cleaner - there are 600ml cans on Ebay, work out about £2-ish a can in a GB.

Ive read the pure IPA leaves metals open to rust as it "really" strips it - not that much is going to rust in the brake department I expect.
"BMJBOY" Wrote:If anyone was interested, we could setup a group buy for Disk Brake cleaner - there are 600ml cans on Ebay, work out about £2-ish a can in a GB.

Ive read the pure IPA leaves metals open to rust as it "really" strips it - not that much is going to rust in the brake department I expect.

Rubbing a disc with nice grippy pads also makes them prone to rust...
I'd be interested in a GB. Never used brake cleaner, but I spose I should
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
IF we can drum up enough buyers:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-X-600-ML-HOLTS-...3a55f63abe

Equates to £2.33 a can.

Obviously 1 each this time around, as these will last you forever I would expect.

Im amazed at how much grime build up brakes get with the pad dust and other contaminants - I really must get into a better cleaning regime.  Hence looking at this.

If enough interest, I'll start a GB thread.

Im loving the GB ethos at the mo, so anyone with other ideas, speak up.

EDIT :

Cheaper here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-x-CANS-OF-600ml...25577bc968

£2.29 a can!  Tongue
I need some. I'd be interested!
I too would be interested. A nice can of isporpylisypll will compliment the bleed kit i just ordered.