This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Singlespeed setup
I have a couple of single speed questions…

What do I need to go ss?  I am looking at one of these, a chain and am hoping to use an original front chainring.  Will this work?  Do I need anything else?  What’s all this chain tensioner gubbins?

Also what gear sizes would you recommend?

Ben has offered me half of his old XTC which I think would do this job very nicely indeed.  It’ll also double up as a spare for when I go out on the bikes with my gf as she can ride mine and I can pedal like a loon to keep up
I wouldn't recommend riding a singlespeed with your other half unless she is very quick at climbing.  
Any moderate incline and I left her behind as I couldn't go at any slower speed.

I started off with a standard front chainring, but it slipped a couple of times for me (as the chain stretched) so I got a proper front ring.  Now I have a middleburn Uno which is really nice!
"paul_f" Wrote:I wouldn't recommend riding a singlespeed with your other half unless she is very quick at climbing.  
Any moderate incline and I left her behind as I couldn't go at any slower speed.

I started off with a standard front chainring, but it slipped a couple of times for me (as the chain stretched) so I got a proper front ring.  Now I have a middleburn Uno which is really nice!

Cheers Paul,

She's pretty fit so it should be OK.  If not then she can ride the ss  Wink  It'll be for me to ride round Blean as well to improve fitness

Did you use a standard chain?  I have a feeling i've just thrown an old one out  Sad

I take it you used a standard front middle chainring?
Oh yes, and you will find with an XTC that you can probably get a magic ratio with a 32:16 setup ( I could)1, I think I had to use a single half link in the chain

And you will need a set of shorter chain ring bolts.

You can get the half links and shorter chain ring bolts off ebay.

I'd personally try and get a singlespeed conversion kit that had thinner spacers, this allows you to move the rear sprocket around to get the chainline straight
"paul_f" Wrote:Oh yes, and you will find with an XTC that you can probably get a magic ratio with a 32:16 setup ( I could)1, I think I had to use a single half link in the chain

And you will need a set of shorter chain ring bolts.

You can get the half links and shorter chain ring bolts off ebay.

I'd personally try and get a singlespeed conversion kit that had thinner spacers, this allows you to move the rear sprocket around to get the chainline straight

So that would mean no tensioner required?  Any idea where else i could find a better ss conversion kit?
I use a 3/32 KMC chain.  Although some conversion kits use a 1/8 sprocket, so then you will need a BMX chain which is much heavier, though the on one says it will work with 3/32.

For a 3/32 you should be able to use a 8 speed chain (9 speed ones won't work).  I tried one I found (on my brothers unused bike) but it was too narrow.

Regarding the climbing, on certain hills I find I climb faster on the singlespeed as you have no choice but to get out of the saddle.
"pittgoat" Wrote:So that would mean no tensioner required?  Any idea where else i could find a better ss conversion kit?

Yes for 500 miles anyway until the chain stretches too much and starts bouncing up and down.

This kit is the type and is cheaper (although it is from superstar who I normally try and avoid ever since I had one of his crap bottom brackets and non fitting brake pads)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Singlespeed-Kit-16T-Factory-Direct-Price-Single-Speed_W0QQitemZ370264459614QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item56357b495e">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Singlespeed-Kit-1 ... 56357b495e</a><!-- m -->
&quot;paul_f&quot; Wrote:Yes for 500 miles anyway until the chain stretches too much and starts bouncing up and down.

This kit is the type and is cheaper (although it is from superstar who I normally try and avoid ever since I had one of his crap bottom brackets and non fitting brake pads)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Singlespeed-Kit-16T-Factory-Direct-Price-Single-Speed_W0QQitemZ370264459614QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item56357b495e">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Singlespeed-Kit-1 ... 56357b495e</a><!-- m -->

Ah nice one, thanks Paul.  Have 'done the deal' on the frame and spares so will build it up normally and switch to ss when i get a chance  Smile

Now to decide whether to put my Revelations and XT wheelset on this one or to sell them...
I would definitely keep the wheels, but the Rev's are fixed travel aren't they? If so could be too long for the frame?

I thought about SS the 456 for fitness reasons too, but i want to use it for longer rides and SITS so would be constantly swapping bits over. I normally ride in as higher gear as possible anyway.
I still have the internal spacers from the rebas so could easily run the revs at 100 or 115mm. I'll see how the cashflow is! Not sure on max travel for the frame but suspect 120 tops with nearer 100 more likely