This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FREE : Toolbox
Free to a fellow Sketchy Member....

Quite possibly the coolest toolbox ever known to grace this planet.

My old toolbox, has approx 30 stickers on it, maybe more, each one lovingly applied in a random way, to make me look like I know what Im doing when working on a bike.

Many women have stopped me on my travels to comment on the splendour of the toolbox, with its black plastic finish, yellow handle and frosted plastic top section for bits and bobs.

This box is no stranger to international travel..... its been to Wales, 3 times, and got rained on in Plymouth during a 24hr race.

The Sunday Times said:
"Such extravagance in a toolbox is reserved for royalty or Fred Dibner (google him Steve), but Bens toolbox is one of those little gems that make this country great"

Heat Magazine said:
"As much plastic as Jordan, but with more skills and brains, Bens toolbox is the hottest accessory everyone must have"

Ive simply outgrown my toolbox, and this simply must go for tax purposes, due to its high value.

Approx cost when new, £12.99 from Woolworths (google it Steve)

Approx value now (For insurance purposes) £3.99.

So, if you are in need of an approx 12" toolbox, please contact me. Its FREE.

Please, no timewasters, test pilots, or wannabees  -this is the real mcoy.

I dont want people turning up, "trying their tools" in it - I dont have the time for fantasists.

If youve been looking for a toolbox, with biking stickers on, with a feint whiff of leaked GT85, then this is your chance.

It would make an ideal present for the lady in your life, or even that special "thank-you" to an inlaw or work collegue.
With a sales pitch like that - i'll take it!  ;D
"pittgoat" Wrote:With a sales pitch like that - i'll take it!  ;D

Dont you want some history details, interior and exterior photos, paperwork?

This isnt a decision to take lightly.
I am no doubt aware that there is much interest in this fine example of tool boxery, but I have a couple of questions if I may.

Is this the MkII Woolworths unit with the thermoplastic hinges or is this the early version with the better quality polypropylene hinges & the thermoset catches?

Will it take a low range torque wrench?

Are you able to prove ownership from new?

Are the applied aftermarket graphics inclusive of preinstalled approved adhesive or were they applied with cow gum?
"Tinc" Wrote:I am no doubt aware that there is much interest in this fine example of tool boxery, but I have a couple of questions if I may.

Is this the MkII Woolworths unit with the thermoplastic hinges or is this the early version with the better quality polypropylene hinges & the thermoset catches?

Will it take a low range torque wrench?

Are you able to prove ownership from new?

Are the applied aftermarket graphics inclusive of preinstalled approved adhesive or were they applied with cow gum?

"Cowgum" now your showing your age. Most of these members probably weren't even born when Cowgum was around  Big Grin Big Grin
mrtinc hanks for your enquiry, I will aim to answer your questions:

I believe this model to be the mkii with thermo set clasps to close the toolbox.

I can personally verify that both hinges and clasps operate freely and without issue.

I must point out, that storing weighty items, such as socket pieces, screwdrivers and spanners in the top frosted section are proned to unhooking said frosted section if opening the main compartment. I would
put this down to a design flaw, but not product failure.

I'm the original owner, and the box was purchased approx 2yrs ago from the sheerness branch from Woolworth. they where located to the left of the instant photo booth, but to the right of the paint tins and clothing dye.

I'm afraid all original paperwork is missing, as I stored this in a secure
location offshore, incase of a claim. I have since parted company with my offshore business advisor due to a discrepancy over a packet of Murray mints and the death of a folk singer alleged to have choked on one.

woolworths have since ceased trading, and I have been phoning the receivers daily for information regarding proof of ownership. sadly, they are not responding positivly.

with regards to the stickers, all are self adhesive, and applied at jaunty angles, which represents my wildish nature.

most poignant, is the official hope sticker, which I receved with my hope vision 2. the sticker was nearly £150, and I received a free light with it.
Thank you for your promt response.
Whilst I'm sure your toolbox is a fine example of it's kind, I am equally sure that it is indeed the MkII version.
Infortunately I am intent on securing myself one of the earlier & superior MkI's.

Your reference to the weaker clasps on the lid storage covers really identifies all that has been lost with the sad decline of Woolworths & may indeed point at the very reason we suffered the loss of such a fine general store.
For me the MkI toolbox really echoes an era when records got to number one because people went out & bought them, an era that saw toddlers everywhere proudly sporting the Ladybird brand & an era that demonstrated trust in individuals by putting the minimally pacakged glory of the Pick 'n Mix by the door.

A truly glorious time!

Anyway I digress. Thank you once again for your time, but I feel you should defer to your first offer & I will continue my search for the glorious MkI.

On top of that I think your asking price is a bit steep!
Big Grin Big Grin
my now mountain bike riding girlfriend is starting to show an interest in all things bike related and has specifically expressed an interest in viewing a photo of 'Bens toolbox'!
[quote="]my now mountain bike riding girlfriend is starting to show an interest in all things bike related and has specifically expressed an interest in viewing a photo of 'Bens toolbox'![/quote"]

Im sorry Sailor, but Im afraid the toolbox is leaving tomorrow, to another home in Canterbury, to a Mr Pittgoats house.

For legal reasons, I cannot divulge the route its taking, nor what time it will be there - on the black market, this box could fetch about £5 if it fell into the wrong hands.

All I know is, 2 vehicles and a decoy vehicle will be leaving a secure location near here, to the area to make the delivery.  Each vehicle is tracked, and I understand a helicopter is on standby.

I wish your girlfriend the very best of luck looking for an alternative toolbox - I had a tip-off that some "fake" toolboxes are starting to reach our shores now via the Chinese and Triad communities - its a risk of course, but Im sure you could find her one very similar to the original.

Attached is a picture of the toolbox, on top of the new replacement one - as you can see, there are no stickers on the new one currently, as Im having them specially hand made in Knightsbridge by a bike sticker craftsman.

If you watch Meridian Tonight at all, you will notice they are devoting a week long special report on the toolbox and its history - I understand Fred Dinage took particular interest in the article.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
Less than 1 minute ago" />    Less than 1 minute ago" />