This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What bike?
Hi everyone, I'm a new bod on board, so would really appreciate your help.

Finally growing some and stumping up the cash to go full sus having confirmed my thoughts after much deliberating and having a little go on my cousins GT recently. Having trouble knowing what to spend my cash on as dont feel I know enough about the bike components to make a decision myself. All bikes are new but I am tossing up between specialized Specialized Enduro FSR Expert 2009 for £1999, a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 2010 £2199, and a Stumpjumper FSR Comp 2010 £1799.

I usually ride  the local woods, Blean, Kingswood, Denge etc. so thought these bikes offered a good bundle of goodies for the money without going o.t.t. for where I ride.

Any suggestions regarding the components of these bikes/any experience of riding them.

cheers

si :o

PS excuse the smilie, its just that he looks like my 9week old son.
Welcome to the forum Bridgers Smile

If the Enduro comes with Specialized fork and shock, avoid like the plague as they have had lots of problems with them, and even when they work are not as good as Fox. Also if you mainly want it to ride at Blean then it could be a bit too much bike for you. I have an 06 Enduro which is a fantastic bike and i love it to bits, but it dose weigh a bit and i struggle on the climbs sometimes. The newer ones are lighter but think are still around 32lbs. But if you are intending riding at trail centers or plaes like Surrey Hills, Swinley, full on downhill etc then it would be perfect!  If you are sticking to mainly XC though then either of the Stumpy's would be better, as they are much lighter and have a more XC biast geometry. Haven't looked at the spec yet, is the more expensive one carbon? Could you post up some links to the ones you are looking at?
Morning Bridgers, welcome to Sketchy land Smile

There are a lot of riders round your area and regular organised rides through the forum.  The bikes you have suggested cover a range of options, the Stumpy is a lighter xc/trail bike and the Enduro is more heavy duty trail orientated beastie.  Lots of the guys here are Spesh owners so will be able to offer lots of advice and support.  

For my money the Stumpy would be my choice, the biggest diffrence IMHO is the TALAS fork and whether you think it would be beneficail to you.  The XTR rear mech and SLX kit is nice but on the Elite but everything on the Comp is more then serviceable too.  If you have the budget get the best you can Smile

The Elie isnt a carbon frame its Specialized's M5 Aluminium.
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
Thanks guys here are the links.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.noahsark.co.uk/specialized-enduro-fsr-expert-2009-p-2460.html">http://www.noahsark.co.uk/specialized-e ... -2460.html</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.evanscycles.com/products-comparison?products=ec020331|ec020330">http://www.evanscycles.com/products-com ... 1|ec020330</a><!-- m -->

I know what you mean Treehugger about the Enduro being a little on the heavy side of things in weight and also up to 150 play in the forks, dont know that I need that much.
Hi bridgers,

having owned an enduro myself I can vouch for their additional weight! having said that they are super solid and you are unlikey to have any issues with frame durability. The only down side in my opinion is the specialized rear shock which doesn't perform as well as the fox equivalent.

The stumpy will be the most suited to general trail ridind duties and the odd downhill track, although you will have to pick a more careful line.

If you are looking to play on jumps/ drops etc then I would go for the enduro.
I put the Elite but only because I own the 2009 version and love it! You might be able to get some leftover 2009 stock and go in at a pricepoint way above your budget...
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
&quot;Bridgers&quot; Wrote:Having confirmed my thoughts after much deliberating and having a little go on my cousins GT recently.

You can have that GT if you like Simon  Wink Your price range is a bit higher than mine so ask if you can have one for me thrown in free with yours  Tongue

On a side note, I am planning a weekend day trip to London soon (close proximity of lots of bike shops) with the intension on sitting on a load and getting a feel for what is about. More than welcome to come along.
&quot;redwinnie&quot; Wrote:On a side note, I am planning a weekend day trip to London soon (close proximity of lots of bike shops) with the intension on sitting on a load and getting a feel for what is about. More than welcome to come along.

Visiting friends i Ruislip this weekend so going to try to get to the big Specialized concept store there;D But for local bikage try Activ in Folkestone for Trek and Orange, had a really good chat in there the other day with Simon, most help full and no pressure. Offered a demo bike as well to take out for "a few days"
If you have a look at felt bikes and see one you like message me and I will get you a very good price. If not, got with a stumpy
Thanks Guys

The Felt bikes look nice, however I've not come across them before, sounds like you know them well, any in particular you'd recommend for the 2k budget?

Wayne, I can wait too long to get a new one as its burning a hole in my pocket and now I've made up my mind to get one I cant wait. I'll still be up for a trip into town to have a look though, even after I get a new one. The Stumpy Elite is looking favorite at the mo.