This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avid Juicy 7 : Not returning Pads/Lever
Help!

Just sorting the bike for Oldbury tomorrow, cleaned the bike of immediate crud.

Been having a "slow" front brake lever for a couple of rides now, I put it down to very worn pads and dirt issues.

Just stripping the calipers off, cleaned, and got all crud out, and used the brake cleaner on the rotors (wow!)

Installed disco brake pads.

Front brake lever is slow or almost non existant to return - this might be piston related.

I have used a ring spanner to "prevent" one piston moving to fire the other, and vice-versa to ensure pistons are free moving.

Lever still doesnt return well - theres nothing going on with it........   Sad

Ive just cable tied the lever right back to the bar almost and left it, but if anyones got any tips on whats going on, that would be good.
Oh no.......

Horror reading...........

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16061286

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/to...-returning

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/to...ear-levers
If you thoroughly clean your bike after every ride this shouldn't happen. Also don't lube the leaver or spray GT85 on them like it says in one of them threads. I have had a set of Juicy 5's for over a year and they are perfectly fine. I ride roughly 4 times a week/18 hours on average in all weather.
"lloydy" Wrote:If you thoroughly clean your bike after every ride this shouldn't happen. Also don't lube the leaver or spray GT85 on them like it says in one of them threads. I have had a set of Juicy 5's for over a year and they are perfectly fine. I ride roughly 4 times a week/18 hours on average in all weather.

Doesnt really help me much........

These brakes are easily 3yrs old.

Theyve been fairly maintenance free since buying them, never GT85'd the levers at all to my knowledge as most of the surround/internals are rubberised.

I'll see if the cable tie trick frees anything up, other than that, it'll have to be a lever strip down, as the pistons appear to be functioning OK.
"BMJBOY" Wrote:Doesnt really help me much........

These brakes are easily 3yrs old.

Theyve been fairly maintenance free since buying them, never GT85'd the levers at all to my knowledge as most of the surround/internals are rubberised.

I'll see if the cable tie trick frees anything up, other than that, it'll have to be a lever strip down, as the pistons appear to be functioning OK.

No need to be rude. If they are 3 years old and you have never serviced them, then service them! You just answered the thread question yourself!
Leave a bike covered in filth and these things happen...
Ben- If you cant get this sorted before tomorrow i have a spare brake you can borrow.
"Breezer" Wrote:Leave a bike covered in filth and these things happen...

Hardly - no more dirty or less maintained than anyone elses on here - typical wear and tear probably.

There is braking there, just the lever issue is apparent.

Cheapest option : open up lever assembly for a inspection and clean

Next option : lever service kit

Braking iteself is fine, so Im assuming its not piston related down at the caliper end.

I'll be fine for Oldbury I think, its just not ideal as theres no "feel" there - anyway its good training to stop hitting the front brake so hard anyway.

Ive downloaded the SRAM tech manual, I just need some spare time and a hell of a lot of patience to service the lever end.
"lloydy" Wrote:No need to be rude. If they are 3 years old and you have never serviced them, then service them! You just answered the thread question yourself!

Not all that rude, your post wasn't all that constructive given the urgency of the problem. It's spot on, just not very helpful
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
To be honest, I eluded to knowing whats wrong, just hopeful of a eureka "ah, but if you try this..........." answer.

All is good, its only a brake*

*Might not say that after tomorrow after crashing badly and blaming my front brake

Wink