This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OMG i'm sh*t!
Mark, Russ, Nigel don't read any further for fear your respect for my riding skills will fall even further (if possible).

As i'm about to head out on my first sketchy ride of the year  :B tomorrow and Wales approaching fast, i thought i'd best blow away some ring rust (no, that's not prison talk) and have just been out for an hours blast. Fitness ok with road and gym work but jesus, basic skill levels at zero. I decided that at any slow points i'd practise doing 'trackstands'. Never tried to master them before but i'm sick of seeing couriers in London effortlessly remaining clipped in for as long as they like. Thought surely i'll get the hang of it in just a few attempts. Err, no. I doubt my 1 second trackstands will be of much use anytime soon.

Still, undeterred i continued with my ride and came across some seriously muddy bits that a Land Rover or similar had been through. Very deep mud everywhere except in the high sided rutts so the rutts i took. I fell off, twice. You know the feeling when your front wheel touches the sides and you can't get it back and off you go. So basically I CAN'T EVEN RIDE IN A STRAIGHT FECKING LINE! FFS  >Sad.

It wasn't all bad though as A) at least i was out on my bike and B) on route home i did and amazing bunny hop at full speed and managed to clear massive twig that may well have been bigger than the fattest caterpilla you've ever seen  Tongue

Now off to thrash the motorbike on way to the gym where i'll play tennis and throw some weights around. A least it's 3 things that can do do a decent standard.
Dont worry mate your just a bit rusty, we all have off days now and then.

I doubt this helps but i can track stand my foldup bike pretty well  Tongue , oh and the couriers all have fixed wheels which helps alot!
If we meet tomorrow at Oldbury with Blackers, by the time we part you will feel like Stevey Peat compared to me Big Grin
"UphillDownDale" Wrote:If we meet tomorrow at Oldbury with Blackers, by the time we part you will feel like Stevey Peat compared to me Big Grin

I can give him a bell if you like.... he said hes not up to much this weekend.    Tongue
Now you're just name dropping Ben Wink How many threads can you mention your link to SP on?
"UphillDownDale" Wrote:Now you're just name dropping Ben Wink How many threads can you mention your link to SP on?

I could think of ways of doing it on all them....... I might just create a signature and have done with it....... Tongue
Didnt read any of it Rick so you are still ok in my book.  Tongue
"NOT4ROADUSE" Wrote:Mark, Russ, Nigel don't read any further for fear your respect for my riding skills will fall even further (if possible).

As i'm about to head out on my first sketchy ride of the year  :B tomorrow and Wales approaching fast, i thought i'd best blow away some ring rust (no, that's not prison talk) and have just been out for an hours blast. Fitness ok with road and gym work but jesus, basic skill levels at zero. I decided that at any slow points i'd practise doing 'trackstands'. Never tried to master them before but i'm sick of seeing couriers in London effortlessly remaining clipped in for as long as they like. Thought surely i'll get the hang of it in just a few attempts. Err, no. I doubt my 1 second trackstands will be of much use anytime soon.

Still, undeterred i continued with my ride and came across some seriously muddy bits that a Land Rover or similar had been through. Very deep mud everywhere except in the high sided rutts so the rutts i took. I fell off, twice. You know the feeling when your front wheel touches the sides and you can't get it back and off you go. So basically I CAN'T EVEN RIDE IN A STRAIGHT FECKING LINE! FFS  >Sad.

It wasn't all bad though as A) at least i was out on my bike and B) on route home i did and amazing bunny hop at full speed and managed to clear massive twig that may well have been bigger than the fattest caterpilla you've ever seen  Tongue

Now off to thrash the motorbike on way to the gym where i'll play tennis and throw some weights around. A least it's 3 things that can do do a decent standard.
Lol don't panic mate, it always takes me 2 or 3 rides to get back into the swing of it after a time off, and as Russ said we all have bad days. I've had some shockers where i basically forgot how to ride at all, just ask Nick about that rainy night ride at Blean Big Grin  You rode really well that first time at Surrey Hills, you'll get it back in no time.

Oh and i am also completely useless at riding in ruts :B I don't know why, but it could be 2 foot wide but i just can't keep away from the sides and end up staggering to a very un-elegant stop. Michael was laughing at me on Sunday at the fact that i had just done a 5 foot drop off but couldn't ride in a strait line for more than 200 yards :B  
+1 for relax it happens to everyone!
You should have seen me the other week after I'd spent about 3 weeks on the road bike & not touched the MTB. Wobbling around the woods like a big girls blouse.

It'll only take a ride or two & you'll be right back on form Wink
"Tinc" Wrote:+1 for relax it happens to everyone!
You should have seen me the other week after I'd spent about 3 weeks on the road bike & not touched the MTB. Wobbling around the woods like a big girls blouse.

It'll only take a ride or two & you'll be right back on form Wink

So what's my excuse after 2 or 3 years??!