This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Private Medical Cover
Fellow sketchites....

Due to some personal changes in the forseeable future, I might be looking "officially" into private medical cover.

I know one person certainly has it on here.... (and knows how to claim!)

I would welcome advice, guide prices, suggestions of cover, companies etc.

Is there a certain level I would need if declaring that I partake in "extreme" sports such as mountainbiking, and even more extreme sports, such as darts?   Tongue

I have no idea where to start, and would like to be armed with some valuable information fairly quickly.

Ta
We can chat tomorrow but off the top of my head...
AxaPPP (my current insurer)
Bupa (my old insurer)
I think Axa do online quotes.
I pay around £50 per month with a nil excess.
Cool - and your current AXA clearly covers for extreme sports?

(well I guess it does........)

I know nothing about private as never had it, but I have a good opptunity to get it sorted soon.

No point having it if (god forbid) I smash myself up and Im not covered.
"BMJBOY" Wrote:Cool - and your current AXA clearly covers for extreme sports?

(well I guess it does........)

I know nothing about private as never had it, but I have a good opptunity to get it sorted soon.

No point having it if (god forbid) I smash myself up and Im not covered.

Mountain biking doesnt generally fall under the category of extreme sports...though the industry will have a rethink at some point. If they ask when you apply, just say you are a cyclist.
"Blackers" Wrote:Mountain biking doesnt generally fall under the category of extreme sports...though the industry will have a rethink at some point. If they ask when you apply, just say you are a cyclist.

Considering the amount you have just cost the industry, Im not surprised if its high priority now!  Tongue

Ive got some time to gen up on it all.
Im on a one man mission to prove that Insurers arent always wriggling out of paying claims!!  Tongue
I'm with AXA as well. For myself and other half it's less than £50 a month. Not the top level but it does cover us for any treatment or stay required in hospital which is all i'm after really. Decent facilities and no waiting lists.
lots of different different insurance here

Medisure/Simplyhealth (health cover) cover me through work - good for physio (16wks) if knee problem and minor ops etc - can also get appointments quick and I've got  a minor op on leg in a few weeks time (which gets aggravated riding dh stuff) - had two consultations, MRI scan and other scan in about a month. I've never been asked about it for forms but I don't pay direct just extra tax. I think they are mainly accessing fitness and probably risks throug weoight/smoking/age etc for premiums

not sure if they switch to private rooms if you're injured - most private hospitals are in early am, knock you out chop you up and send home before teatime

insurers more worried about sports for travel/holiday stuff as its the cost of picking little bits of people up near alpe d'huez etc in helipcopters etc thats costly - mountain biking in cat 1 hazardous sports on my travel policy

accidents in UK - ambulance and national health

if self employed or not covered through a work policy that gives say 6mths off work on full pay then might need to have other cover - if self emplyed builder and break arm etc then may loose 6-8 weeks earnings
"NOT4ROADUSE" Wrote:Decent facilities and no waiting lists.

Amen to that. Or in other words Peace of Mind.
Another benefit of being with Axa is that they are local...in tunbridge wells. Not that I have ever had cause to consider going to shout at them.
I found Bupa to be excellent also.
"mudhound" Wrote:most private hospitals are in early am, knock you out chop you up and send home before teatime

Not in my (extensive) experience. For starters a private hospital charges a fair old whack for each day you are in. And secondly they have far more concern for their reputation so would never send anybody home who wasnt ready.
NHS hospitals look for a quick turnaround...for obvious reasons.