This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gear ratios
I thought I would share some useful information with you.

The idea is that if you use the gear combinations in the diagram below, you get all the ratios possible, but avoid crossing your chain which limits drive chain wear. Some of you have probably noticed if you are riding along in granny ring and 6th for example, you can change to middle ring and shift to 4th at the back to get the same ratio. By doing this you keep your chain straight and therefore everything lasts longer because there is less friction.

resim
Which ones make you ride as fast as Peaty ? I keep trying to find it but never seem to
"Si.Ozzy" Wrote:Which ones make you ride as fast as Peaty ? I keep trying to find it but never seem to

Havent a clue but ive heard that turning the lockout on your fork off tends to speed you up a bit Wink
I notice that says that in the middle you shouldn't go higher than 7th, but I and a lot of others on here run a double and bash set up. Dose that mean that using middle and 9th is increasing chain wear? I use 8th and 9th a lot even with a 36 tooth middle.
"Treehugger" Wrote:I notice that says that in the middle you shouldn't go higher than 7th, but I and a lot of others on here run a double and bash set up. Dose that mean that using middle and 9th is increasing chain wear? I use 8th and 9th a lot even with a 36 tooth middle.

Cant see it increasing wear majorly, Afterall what would you do if you had a 1x9 setip !
Cripes Lloydy I had a leaflet like that with my Raliegh Equipe back in the 80s!!
I got it from Brian Lopes' book, I think he knows what he is on about. Its useful information, take it or leave it, makes no difference to me.

Edit: Treehugger, try it for yourself and look at the chain line. If you use the ratios on the diagram you will notice the chain is pretty much straight all the time. When you go out of these combinations, you will notice that the chain line is very crossed and the extra wear it will cause your drive chain is quite obvious.
I use my ears... if things get more noisy, select a different combo.
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:Havent a clue but ive heard that turning the lockout on your fork off tends to speed you up a bit Wink

I heard that too but made me go fast enough to make you stack it into a rock !  Big Grin
Worth thinking about as I have seen many of us riding in weird gears...

Another useful link with gear tables that tell you how far each pedal turn takes you....  i find it interesting..

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3521">http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3521</a><!-- m -->
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />