This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coppicing
Not that it's really relevant to most of you but over Cuxton way, the woods just off Cuxton Rd (the hill) are being heavily coppiced. I thought at first they were just going to thin it out abit, but upon venturing there the other day it seems they're leaving 1 tree in every 300. Half of the woodland is gone now. I have taken some of you through there.. At the end of it you come down a steep-ish bank onto a gravel/road stone path and up the other side...

Also along the river between Aylesford and Wouldham, half the woods between that area are almost non existant largely. They havent touched between the road to the river bit yet but the road towards eccles/burham areas has about 3 trees left. For anyone who knows this is all the woods to the right of the sewage works hidden away down there, if standing in front of it looking away.

Get the feeling some very good parts of BBH will soon not be there anymore.
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
"Papa Smurf" Wrote:Also along the river between Aylesford and Wouldham, half the woods between that area are almost non existant largely. They havent touched between the road to the river bit yet but the road towards eccles/burham areas has about 3 trees left. For anyone who knows this is all the woods to the right of the sewage works hidden away down there, if standing in front of it looking away.

Is that the bit popular with the motorcross riders Jon? (with the big gates at either end)
Yep, though you could access the area easily from Aylesford end if you could get the bike down some open-ish singletrack.
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
Grr this is really p!ssing me off, pretty soon there's gonna be no woods left >Sad  Pretty much everywhere we go lately has been decked up in some way, even Surrey Hills :'(
Coppiicing is a process carried out roughly every 10 years. Mereworth is probably 70% coppiced and it is both a good and bad thing.
Good because the coppicing opens up heavily wooded areas that could not be entered prior to coppicing. And good because coppicing seems to create a more undulating terrain.
And bad because coppiced woods are more prone to being muddy both during the coppicing and in the couple of years after the coppicing.
It can be frustrating to lose a traiil but they always come back in time.
If there wasnt the woodland to start with then there would probably be houses there now so you could never have ridden it in the first place......yes its a pain, my trails got flattened but you wait for them to finish then the trail builders will sort it out or perhaps all of you that ride at Surrey etc could go and do some clearing yourselves?
We ride in working forests, its lucky we are allowed at all to ride in them.

Its just something we have to live with.

Breezer ive cleared sections before, dont be to quick to judge.
"Buzz" Wrote:We ride in working forests, its lucky we are allowed at all to ride in them.

Its just something we have to live with.

Breezer ive cleared sections before, dont be to quick to judge.
True, but still very annoying. There were a lot of good trails in Thornden which are now gone forever, they have made such a mess of it there isn't a hope in hell of clearing them again Sad
I wasnt judging anyone, was just a suggestion, if theres tons of coppicing going on then the more hands the better to bring the trails back to life quicker once the loggers have gone.

On a vaguely related note, is that oil refinery test thing still going ahead up there? Will that kill any trails?
Coppicing is necessary to protect the biodiversity of our woods, so it's a necessary evil!
They only do it bit by bit, and shouldn't do it again for 10 to 35 years though!