This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sealing tyres
As you know I'm a great advocate of Stans Tubeless systems but I'm struggling like a bugger to seal a brand new set of 2.2 NON UST Rubber Queens.

Whether to use it or not hasnt really got anything to do with this question & would be great to think we wont have the usual "should have put tubes in them debate" as that's not the reason for this query....

They seat really well.... they blow up really well..... I can shake & bake until absolutely nothing is coming thro the sidewalls but come a few days later they are fairly quishy, so I take them off, blow them up but the holes again seem to be there... and fairly large ones, it not just little amounts seeping thro the sidewalls as I would expect..... these are significant enough to be able hear & feel the escaping air against your face... do the shake & bake & start over again.

As a  quick solution I think I'm going off the Halfords to get some of this stuff...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_216415_langId_-1_categoryId_228377#dtab">http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 28377#dtab</a><!-- m -->

The idea is to remove all the latex, inflate to seat the tyre, deflate it, then inflate it using the canned sealer.. Once sealed, perhaps leaving it a day I was going to deflate the tyre again then re-latex it. The question is what sort of mess does the Weldtite leave in the tyre.. will I need to clean it all up again before putting the Stans back in or do you think I can get away with just letting it down & then syringing the latex in thro the valve  Undecided
Ride the bike with an overdose of sealant in - worked for me on my mountain kings which done the same.

Perhaps you need a bottle of "Version 3" from a well known stockist.
&quot;BMJBOY&quot; Wrote:Ride the bike with an overdose of sealant in - worked for me on my mountain kings which done the same.

Perhaps you need a bottle of "Version 3" from a well known stockist.

I've ridden it 3 times now & still the same problem... I was hoping that the riding was going to sort the problem but alais.
I dunno as i have UST ones.

Try asking on STW.... Wink
http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/to...eless-help
My small block 8 took a lot of shaking to sort and even then it went flat a day later and played up on first couple of rides but then settled down with just minor leakage needing pumping every week, I wont be using stans next time though as im not that impressed with it, I wont get ust tyres either as dont want to add weight I dont need. This does remind me that I have a tube in the back after stans failed to seal a  hole in my mud x (it also failed to seal a puncture in my SB8 in the past) so need to swap the rear tyre with new sealant, one which I tested recently stabbing an old tyre and it sealed fine...
&quot;Breezer&quot; Wrote:so need to swap the rear tyre with new sealant, one which I tested recently stabbing an old tyre and it sealed fine...

Its a winning formula......

If you like it, then anyone will....
I may try and seal up the SB8 onto the Zesty at the weekend but wont be till late Sunday if I do, out up Surrey for most of the day so dont want to risk it before then.
Thanks Buzz, I'm glad its not just me.. This is my 4th different set of tyres & I've never had this problem before.
Just a quick update... I've double dosed with stan's latex & the buggers have stayed up with no pressure loss. Thanks again for the pointer Buzz  Big Grin Big Grin