This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear shock maintenance
Sending my brand new shock to mojo tomorrow due to it knocking at the beginning of the stroke. Anyway it made me think about general shock maintenance, and I wondered how often people remove their shocks for service etc.
Personally dont touch mine until theres an issue - regular cleaning is about my limit.

There is however a Fox shock service guide in MBR this month.
Yea I have seen that. I have removed a couple of shocks in the past but only ever opened it up and put some float fluid in it. Not too sure I like the idea of frequently taking it off. Also nobody seems to give any torque values for putting it back together.
Removed the can on mine once in a year so far, not in the firing line of muck so stays clean, forks ive done the wiper seal service a couple of times kinda.
Lift the seals up and pour in some float fluid? That's all I tend to do. Pretty annoyed to have to send the shock back after only 3 rides! Maybe I should have gone for the cane creek double barrel!
No I dropped the lowers off as didnt want to risk damage as I saw how hard it was to lift the seals when I replaced them on another set of 32's when the lowers were off.

Yes must be an issue, what shock is it? Dont you have some ongoing problem with forks on one of your bikes as well? Lyriks or something?
It's a 2010 RP23 boost valve.

Yea had an issue with some lyriks they were sent back with my cracked meta for warranty, anyway I exchanged the bike for a new one and now I got rear shock problems! Not having too much luck with bikes at the moment.
Thats an arse, bad luck I guess. Its definately not the bushes in the frame mount? guess its too late to check now. I may be buying one of those shocks soon to replace my float R, not heard of any realibility issues though so just a rare one perhaps....
Don't think it's bushes, it runs smooth with no air in it but that's no indication, besides there is an obvious jolt type movement to the shaft as the shock compresses. The first guy I spoke to at mojo said it's nothing to worry about, the second guy said it's probably an issue with shims at the point the boost valve kicks in.
Should be a quick turn around as they are fast, my forks had to go back for warranty work and were back with me in 3 days or something