This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What HT for £1200 ish
When my Cannondale is paid for on the cycle to work scheme in July I want to get another bike.

These are my options:

I'd like a hardtail which can be used for on road ride and races etc. The scheme (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/">http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/</a><!-- m -->) allows me £1000 but I can put a little extra to it myself. So a HT for £1200 ish.

Or

I coould get a HT for £700-£800 ish and use the remianing £1k allowance to upgrade the Cannondale or get a turbo trainer?

Or

I could get a £400-£500 jump/street/park bike and then get upgradges for the Cannondale, new forks maybe.

I know lots of shops who would be prepared to put a bike+parts through on the scheme.
Well after last nights ride on my HT i would say plan 3, jump bike and new lighter forks, chainset, bars etc for the Prophet. You are used to riding XC on a full suss now and your riding style has adapted to it, so a HT will be bloody hard work, as i found out! If you can shed a conciderable amount of weight then that will also make it better for racing.
&quot;Treehugger&quot; Wrote:Well after last nights ride on my HT i would say plan 3, jump bike and new lighter forks, chainset, bars etc for the Prophet. You are used to riding XC on a full suss now and your riding style has adapted to it, so a HT will be bloody hard work, as i found out! If you can shed a conciderable amount of weight then that will also make it better for racing.

all valid but the phrophet could be beefier dh bike with upgrades?
Cycle to work scheme.....turbo trainer.
Big Grin
I say a really light HT for dry dusty trails.
&quot;mashley&quot; Wrote:all valid but the phrophet could be beefier dh bike with upgrades?
Or that. It's pretty beefy already though, all you really need before the Mega is a stronger rear wheel as the front'll be fine. Either way personally i wouldn't bother with the XC HT route as i just don't think you would enjoy riding it as much as your old one before going full suss. Just my opinion of course, you might like it... You are welcome to have a go on my Inbred any time to prove or disprove my theory. When i can afford to i will be looking for a short travel full suss and use that as my racing bike, until then it's being consigned to road and maybe jumping venue use.