This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contents insurance for bikes
Morning All

Its renewing the home insurance time which leads to the "whats best for bikes" conundrum.  Our previous insurance came with the mortgage so we didnt get a say in the matter.  As thats now expired we can get something thats more suitable.  

We have 3 bikes that value at approx £4500 which are kept inside the house and all of them are custom builds.  Do you have to specify exactly what parts make up the bike or does "items up to a value of X" cover this, do you get new for old cover?  I dont have receipts so would have to rely on lots of photis of every part of each build.

I've found lots of mentions of M&S being good and they state "just tell us about any item, set or collection worth £4,000 or more".  With this in mind would all three bikes class as a collection/set  Undecided  I have also found mention here of Lark Insurance however I wont be able to get hold of them until tuesday as its bank holiday tomorrow and they dont have an online quote facility.
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
I have M&S and highly recommend it. Bikes will be classed as individual items and not a set. As long as each is worth less than £4k you are covered and dont need to specifically mention them. They are covered no matter where they are stolen from or whether you keep them in the house, garage, shed, car boot etc. which isnt the case for most other insurers.
Excellent, do they specify any locks or anything like that?
nope. All items whatever they are as long as they are individually worth less than £4k are covered.
Thats even better then  Wink  Will get busy with the camera tomorrow for proof shots and then give them a bell.

Cheers Sailor  Smile
While I think of it how do they value the bikes as their custom builds?  Do you know if they cover new for old or would it be a case of getting a current valuation from a bike shop?
think its new for old, you wont need to send them any pics or give them any details so long as any individual bike or whatever household item is worth less than £4k. Obviously its worth having pics so that you can produce them in the event of a claim, especially if its a custom build.
should you make a claim you will deal with a company/bike shop called wheelies (or something very similar), you then argue the toss with them, as i said having pics of a custom build will help no end at this point but isnt necessary when taking out cover as you only need to name items worth over the quoted £4k.
Thats all good, decision made  ;D