This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuck Piston
Hiya chaps

As some of you may of noticed in wales my front and rear brakes have been making alot of noise ... Front was sorted with a quick re-alignment but the rear has been in a pain in well ... my rear !

After it dragging non stop today and making a feck load of noise i took the pads out to have a poke around,  Upon taking the brake pads out i noticed one piston only moves about 1mm and the other piston moves alot, Im assuming this one that doesnt move is stuck ?  Upon seeing this i wiped out the pads in the front ... and its happening in the bloody front aswell ! Not as bad but one side moves a considerable amount more then the other

So im assuming a full strip down and rebleed is needed ? Do i need new pistons are anything ?
Brakes are Avid Elixir 5's Sorry!
Not a specific answer to your question from my experience with motorbike disc brakes brakes (never had issues with my mtb ones) and the issue you've described, before you go buying new pistons or anything i'd do what you said, strip them down and give everything a damn good clean. May as well also check the seals are still in good nick while you've got it all apart, Oh and have some grease handy when you put it all back together.

hope this is of some help
I have no idea.. However. Isn't the disk supposed to run very close to 1 side, the idea being that the side that the hose goes into is the side that moves alot, thus pushing the disk into the other one aswell as being compressed itself = Braking power.
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
If one piston is moving more than the other you can press the disc against the one that moves the most and pull the lever. This will force the second piston to move, you faff about doing this by trial and error until both pistons move equally. All disc brakes should be set up like this for even pad wear and maximum performance.

In your case you may need to remove the pads and push the piston out a LITTLE and give it a clean up and a wipe with some brake fluid on a cloth to lubricate the piston.

I think there is a SRAM video on youtube somewhere.
"Papa Smurf" Wrote:I have no idea.. However. Isn't the disk supposed to run very close to 1 side, the idea being that the side that the hose goes into is the side that moves alot, thus pushing the disk into the other one aswell as being compressed itself = Braking power.

Nope ;D
Thanks alot Maestro, ive managed to pop oen piston in each brake out by accident now ... looks like i will need to bleed them ! Big Grin
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:Thanks alot Maestro, ive managed to pop oen piston in each brake out by accident now ... looks like i will need to bleed them ! Big Grin

Tom !
"Si.Ozzy" Wrote:Tom !

Thats what shot into my head as they popped out ! "Shoulda given them to tom ya twat!" Big Grin
When I first got my 7's I had that issue - as maestro suggests, a little cleaning a lubing with some brake fluid will help.

You need to inhibit the working one to make the seized one move - repeat a few times until it moves freely.

With experience, Ive learned that they will never both move 100% at the same time - as many forum posts around the world would agree.