This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hicups !
This is a sensible question so please no posts about drinking upside down or scaring myself.

Whenever I do really long rides if I don't have a fgs I get really bad hicups, I don't like having fgs or similar after every ride cause of the weight loss benefits. After this mornings beast of a ride I have had hicups ever since.

What is my body missing to cause this ? Ive tried nearly a pint of milk but doesn't help.
Im pretty sure hiccups arent caused by consuming or not consuming a particular type of food or drink. It could be do to witt your breathing....do you breath through your nose when riding?
Actually...(my girlfriend thinks I am weird for this)...when I got hiccups I just drink something and I can feel myself swallowing the hiccups with the drink. Weird but it means I can just get rid of them immediately. Maybe gulp down some water instead.
"Blackers" Wrote:Im pretty sure hiccups arent caused by consuming or not consuming a particular type of food or drink. It could be do to witt your breathing....do you breath through your nose when riding?

Breath through mouth, I only get it on really long rides, fgs must contain something that stops it cause if I drink it I never get them. Just need to know what
I get hiccups when eating any moderatly high spicy food - and when I get them, thats it, theyre there all day.

I have left nights out and parties early due to it - I refuse to eat any spicy food on a night out now as it ruins my day.

NOTHING gets rid of them for me, only sleep.  Sad

I hate it.... and tried lots of options with little success, from old wives tales, to proper medicines.
Breathe into a paper bag... this relaxs the diaphram and the hiccups should subside.... if that fails try walking backwards rubbing your ears... this one works for me     Smile
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
&quot;Mbnut&quot; Wrote:Breathe into a paper bag... this relaxs the diaphram and the hiccups should subside.... if that fails try walking backwards rubbing your ears... this one works for me     Smile

Ok so o just did this and they've stopped ! That has to be the best cure ever, didn't have paper bag but nappy sack worked.

Anyone know what causes them ?
can be a number of things, but it's all related to the diaphragm.

mine are triggered by spicy or sometimes gassy food or drink. which is attributed to a weakness in the osophagus (sp) and reflux.

discussed this with my mum last Xmas (often a time when I get them most with rch food) and she said I was quite bad with it as a baby, but only in the past few years has it been a known problem for me.
&quot;Si.Ozzy&quot; Wrote:Ok so o just did this and they've stopped ! That has to be the best cure ever, didn't have paper bag but nappy sack worked.

Anyone know what causes them ?

Christ knows, different for everyone... perhaps too much female hormone or similar.
Hiccups (or hiccoughs) occur when your diaphragm suddenly and involuntarily contracts (squeezes). The diaphragm is the muscle that sits underneath your ribcage and helps to control your breathing. Hiccups are a reflex action, which means that you don't have any control over them. They don't seem to have a useful purpose.

Most episodes of hiccups pass quickly and usually only last for a few minutes. You might hiccup anywhere between four and 60 times a minute. Short episodes of hiccups will normally stop on their own, and you should not require any specific treatment.

Persistent and intractable hiccups

In rare cases, hiccups can last for a long time. Hiccups that last for more than 48 hours can be categorised into two types:

* Persistent or protracted hiccups: these last for more than 48 hours, but less than one month.
    * Intractable hiccups: these last longer than one month.

Men and women are equally affected by hiccups. Persistent and intractable hiccups are more common in men. Persistent and intractable hiccups can be very tiring and upsetting, and can make eating and drinking difficult. It's important to remember that this type of hiccupping is rare and usually indicates an underlying problem or condition.