This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Satellite TV
Today, ive been chilling out, and was discussing HD upgrading with Mrsboy (Im sure I cant get MrsBoy in HD, so it will have to be the Sky)

This has lead me down a secretive and murky underworld of aftermarket "Digital Recivers" and getting such services on the *very* cheap as well as getting me 3pm KO footy matches using European satellites and services.

Im kind of getting some decent advice elsewhere.... but didnt know if anyone else on here have trod such alien territories?

(Btw, Im not talking about illegal activities, and dont endorse them, Im merely "researching")  Wink
Did you not just get a new job ? Stop being so bloody northen and just get Sky HD Big Grin
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:Did you not just get a new job ? Stop being so bloody northen and just get Sky HD Big Grin

Ive got Sky Multiroom and and been a long term customer - and I refuse to bleed another £10 into their coffers month so something they should give me.

Plus Sky sports matches dont show 3pm kick offs.

I friend recently got a European setup which enabled him to see all 3pm kick offs, movies etc. And its cheaper to setup than a years Sky sub. Not sure if its HD though.

Worth looking into.

Currently the setup Im discussing is NON-HD, but EVERY channel (including box office) for an equated monthly price of £12.50 - instead of nearly £60 for less channels!
To be honest it will be alot of agro and i certainly wouldnt bother with it, your need atleast a 90cm to 1.2m dish, your need an ACU (antenna control unit) and a decent DVB receiver, your also have to get some kit or get someone to program your ACU with all of the major Satellites or your have great fun finding them.

Your mate is talking Utter rubbish, he can not be getting skys encrypted channels for free, Sky have their own version of Videoguard which updates the encryption type and code frequently and to crack it you would have to have some pretty decent kit, we dont have it. We have recently won the contract to supply ESPN with the FA cup matchs next year, all of the feeds will have BISS encryption on them which requires a 12 digit code to be entered into the receiver, so you wont be getting the clean feeds of the match but you could possibly watch them on some shitty foreign channel, i have to watch some of these foreign channels every now and then and they are awful. Most of them are a very low quality and there is certainly hardly any free to air HD channels except for a few.

This is "the" place to look for finding free to air channels:

http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html

But your see, the vast majority of them have some form of encryption.

If you know definitely which foreign channels show your footie and its definitely all free to air then you can do that, you can also still watch all of the free to air channels on sky or freesat.

There is also no such thing as strictly saying "European Satellites", Yes there are ones that have footprints in europe but they also have beams across parts of America, Asia etc. It all depends how far west or east they are located.

Heres a few of my dishes, the one on the left is a 4.2m, the ones in the back are 3.7m and we have 2 x 6ms and some more 3.7s.
resim
Tiny compared to the ones C&W have in the Docklands where I used to keep some of my kit, granted it is their main transatlantic network point...

Sounds like a hilarious load of hassle Bmjboy when you could just feel in your pocket and probably find enough spare change to pay for Sky HD for a few decades but then there is more to life than the difference between HD and SD tv viewing, like riding bikes.......
HD, multi channels.......you lucky lot.

I have a regular aerial with a booster, I can get BBC1, BBC2, ITV and some of the time CH4, although half of the time its black and white, and pretty much goes all together if the weather is bad.
"Breezer" Wrote:Tiny compared to the ones C&W have in the Docklands where I used to keep some of my kit, granted it is their main transatlantic network point...

Sounds like a hilarious load of hassle Bmjboy when you could just feel in your pocket and probably find enough spare change to pay for Sky HD for a few decades but then there is more to life than the difference between HD and SD tv viewing, like riding bikes.......

The docklands teleport got taken over by BT and has since further been taken over by Arqiva, most of the services there have gone now and there main hub is located in on the welsh border.

The Large 12m plus dishes are used for hitting far east aisa and south america.
"Buzz" Wrote:To be honest it will be alot of agro and i certainly wouldnt bother with it, your need atleast a 90cm to 1.2m dish, your need an ACU (antenna control unit) and a decent DVB receiver, your also have to get some kit or get someone to program your ACU with all of the major Satellites or your have great fun finding them.

Your mate is talking Utter rubbish, he can not be getting skys encrypted channels for free, Sky have their own version of Videoguard which updates the encryption type and code frequently and to crack it you would have to have some pretty decent kit, we dont have it. We have recently won the contract to supply ESPN with the FA cup matchs next year, all of the feeds will have BISS encryption on them which requires a 12 digit code to be entered into the receiver, so you wont be getting the clean feeds of the match but you could possibly watch them on some shitty foreign channel, i have to watch some of these foreign channels every now and then and they are awful. Most of them are a very low quality and there is certainly hardly any free to air HD channels except for a few.

This is "the" place to look for finding free to air channels:

http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html

But your see, the vast majority of them have some form of encryption.

If you know definitely which foreign channels show your footie and its definitely all free to air then you can do that, you can also still watch all of the free to air channels on sky or freesat.

There is also no such thing as strictly saying "European Satellites", Yes there are ones that have footprints in europe but they also have beams across parts of America, Asia etc. It all depends how far west or east they are located.

Heres a few of my dishes, the one on the left is a 4.2m, the ones in the back are 3.7m and we have 2 x 6ms and some more 3.7s.
resim

Russ you must have a massive house to fit all those dishes  Tongue
Odd that it changed hands twice so quickly as we only moved out about 18 months ago and it was still C&W then but I guess BT are so 'kin useless it doesnt suprise me lol

Sailor: same for me and yet have to pay full tv license? Its a bloody joke! Luckily theres an old Sky dish on the wall from previous tennants so I got a old Sky box off ebay for a tenner and use that, had to rejoin the cable twice where a dog or something ate through it in the garden where it goes into the wall but working ok atm! Get most of the freeview stuff although annoyingly not Dave
i just put it down to the fact that I live in one of the most remote parts of the UK, Chartham, and so it is naive of me to think that I would be able to receive a tv signal capable of providing me with more than three and a half channels, despite as you point out paying for a licence which should entitle me to more. But hey, if blind people cant get a reduction what chance have I got.