This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daft question - Cleat screws
Right, daft I know, but should I be using anti-seize or loctite on my cleat screws?

I went SPD a few weeks ago and thinking that I'd need to change the cleats eventually I put copper slip on the cleat screws. Tested them out etc and then torqued them up properly.

I've managed to avoid any comedy slow motion falls so far but very nearly did today as I was crossing a few roads heading back to Canterbury from Clowes wood as my pedal had decided to eat the cleat and not let me have my foot back. Once I managed to get my foot out I checked the cleats and both were pretty much free to rotate on the shoe, should I be loctiting the screws in or will that end up knackering the sole plate when I come to change cleats?
I usually bang some loctite on them one I know they are in the right place. Last thing you want is the pedal not to unclip as you have found!
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Don't think you should use anything on them, I don't and I've never had any come undone or seize, although Pittgoat has had them come loose a couple of times. I suggest you de-grease them with GT85 and see how it goes.

Welcome to the forum by way Wink
No need for lube or locking, just check them periodically... my road cleats came loose this winter.
Cheers both. I should probably just check the screws before every ride, but I tend to just get back from work and head straight out so I know I'll end up not checking them.

Loctiting them with blue loctite shouldn't make it too much hassle to remove them when they need changing though should it?

It'll probably need more than GT85 to clean the copper slip off, but I can run them through a proper solvent wash at work which should do the job nicely

Edit - all, not just both anymore!
The blue stuff that comes in a pritt stick style tube is what Ive used on mine and other bolts here and there and never had a problem removing as long as you only use a dab. As said, its not entirely necessary but Ive had a cleat not unclip and it wasnt pretty!
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
I just do mine up FT then when they wear out after a couple of years drill them out as they are normally beyond allen keying by then.

and yes I remember loling at Bedgebury when pittgoat walked up the trail with one shoe on and the other still attached to his bike Big Grin
Cleats and screws all went through an ultrasonic wash in trichloroethylene - not a spot of grease left on them after that! Got them reattached with nothing but a quick spray of GT85 in there this time but the sole-plate looks a little chewed up after having to yank them out of my pedals a few times the other day.

I've not had a proper ride since redoing them yet though so I'll have to re-tighten them after that but I'll nip into the assembly area at work and use one of the decent torque wrenches  Wink
I've never known a cleat screw to come undone, the amount of hassle mine have been through and mud and cr@p  thrown at then, they pretty much seize in until you want them out.

welcome btw....
Seems like you either get lucky or don't.  Have had problems with mine (thanks for the reminder Breezer - had forgotten about that  Big Grin ) but regular retightening and a dab of loctite usually sees me through