This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing Truvativ Cranks / BB replacement
Time for another installment in my very slow education in matters of bike fettling.
My BB is on the way out. Which leads me to ask
1) How do i remove my cranks. I have a bolt thing in the middle of the non driveside crank. I think its self extracting. do I just undo this? If so, which way does it turn?
2) do i need a truvativ BB or canI use a shimano?
"Blackers" Wrote:Time for another installment in my very slow education in matters of bike fettling.
My BB is on the way out. Which leads me to ask
1) How do i remove my cranks. I have a bolt thing in the middle of the non driveside crank. I think its self extracting. do I just undo this? If so, which way does it turn?
2) do i need a truvativ BB or canI use a shimano?

Undo the centre bolt anti-clockwise (Lucy lefty). Wobble the non-drive crank side off. Tap the end of the shft going thro the axle to remove drive side crank.

Yep, you will need a Truvativ BB as they are not compatible with the Shimano's. The Truvativ has two different axle radius.. I would recommend going for a Hope bottom Bracket for the extra money it will cost but you also need to get the convertor to make it fit the Truvativ crank. Dont forget you will also need a External BB tool if you haven't got one.
Cheers Blayne. How much would a hope BB with converter set me back from my local friendly Hope dealer?
"Blackers" Wrote:Cheers Blayne. How much would a hope BB with converter set me back from my local friendly Hope dealer?

It cheaper to get them off CRC at the moment... about £55 ish I believe but it will cost you nearly £30 for a Truvativ one & they were only lasting me 3 to 4 months max. The Hope one has been on for a year (with a little bit of re-greasing, but still going strong) and of coarse you can have colours.

I have the tools to remove if you require. Just bring it all around & we can do it there & then if you get the new one first  ;D
Cheers matey. I have the spanner for Shimano external BBs. Does a truvativ require a different tool?
"Blackers" Wrote:Cheers matey. I have the spanner for Shimano external BBs. Does a truvativ require a different tool?

Nope same one. The good thing about the Hope BB is they also have direction arrows to show which way is tight.
Excellent.
Just tried to remove the cranks and cant budge them. I may need to take you up on your kind offer.
"Blackers" Wrote:Excellent.
Just tried to remove the cranks and cant budge them. I may need to take you up on your kind offer.

No problem. Just shout when you're ready
I removed my cranks off both bikes recently... you need to ensure you have a large tool and it's fully inserted... Was a surprise just how tight it was for me!
Hmmm. Hope BB £60. Truvativ is £21. Im thinking I'll go down the disposable route and go for the Truvativ on reflection.