This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will I damage my bike riding with a knackered BB?
It's not too bad, just has a bit of play but I won't be able to get a new one for a couple of weeks.
Can it damamge the frame if the BB is dead?

Cheers,

Chris Smile
Not really, but you can possibly damage your cranks axle depending on what type BB/cranks you have.
Won't really damage the frame unless the bearings have totally collapsed, but the you'd probably nt be akbel to pedal at all.
Is the BB internal cartridge type or external HTII type?
If it's the external type you may damage your crankset by riding it knackered.
Thanks guys, I should've checked back on this thread before heading out last night  :B

I don't actually know what type it is, but I think it's a hollowtech II.
I'll keep off it then which is a nuisance as I've only just got it back on the trail after having the forks sorted out!
Still, I don't want to damage anything, and it's well overdue some new pads and a chain so I'll get it all sorted out properly then.

Cheers,

Chris Smile
If you bb is seized then your hollowtech axle will just be spinning on the seized inner of the bb, which will eventually wear a grove in the axle, ive seen pictures of this happening.
Ok thanks mate, I'll leave well alone.

Are there any particularly recommended replacements? I'm thinking of just refitting the same one (Shimano) as it's lasted nearly two years and is cheap.
Any point in upgrading?

Cheers,

Chris Smile
"Murv" Wrote:Thanks guys, I should've checked back on this thread before heading out last night  :B

I don't actually know what type it is, but I think it's a hollowtech II.
I'll keep off it then which is a nuisance as I've only just got it back on the trail after having the forks sorted out!
Still, I don't want to damage anything, and it's well overdue some new pads and a chain so I'll get it all sorted out properly then.

Cheers,

Chris Smile

Easy to tell dude.  If it's a "Hollotech II" type you'll have external bearings sitting either side of your frame at the BB.  These are usually 15mm or so wide, the same diameter as the BB & have grooves all around them for the spanner to get purchase.  Looks like piccie below. Must be said that other makes & names are availiable so look for the external bearings not the names Hollowtech or Shimano.

You can damage the crank even if the bearings aren't completly seized, as the shaft is allowed to move too much so it wears to the worn bearing path.

If it doesn't look like that then it's an internal "cartridge " type BB & you're safer to ride it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
Less than 1 minute ago" />   
Thanks Tinc, yes that's exactly what it looks like!

Roll on payday Wink