This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wheels
After two bike shops have recommended wheel rebuilds i am considering a replacement wheel set.
Cant really go the whole hog and get super expensive so looking for something at the more 'reasonable but still good' end of the market.
Considering Mavic Crossline or Mavic Deetraks, anyone got any? Deetraks are heavier but they should be pretty much indestructible, the crossline have the same rim dimensions as my current wheels so I'm obviously concerned they may not take the pounding from my heavy landings.
Why not get your pro 2's built into 721's or 723's or something similar ?
have thought of that, it would cost the best part of £160, the wheel sets im looking at would be £100 more and would be lighter, well the crossline would. 721's are basically what i have got but 40g heavier, mine are 321's. the deetraks would weigh less than 823's and would be stronger.

I would sell my current wheel set which would offset the initial cost.

the crossline only have 28 spokes, think i would prefer peace of mind of 32, but at 2250g for the wheel set the deetraks are a bit heavy.
Ah didnt realize how heavy some of the Mavic offerings where ! 729's which im assuming are aimed at the same kind of use as my Spank rims(Same width etc) are a good 110g heavier :o  Infact i love my Wheels ! Superstar Hubs which are brilliant on Spank Subrosa rims,  Havent broken yet and ive just upgraded the rear to 10mm axle for £20 including a new QR ! Picked the wheels up for £150 brand new Smile
yea, my choices are also limited by needing a 135x12mm rear hub.
[quote="]yea, my choices are also limited by needing a 135x12mm rear hub.[/quote"]

Superstar will give you one pre-built with a 12mm hub Smile Think the 20mm fronts are out of stock atm though Sad
Just get a spoke key and tru them or get them rebuilt.

Waste of wheels buying new ones.
This+ some time & patience = sorted ;D
Buzz, Tinc,

I have already trued them myself, after bending them for a second time (front and rear) i took them to my LBS who sorted one wheel but not the other, they also said they needed a rebuild/new rims. I took the second wheel to a second LBS who trued it but also said it needs a new rim. These wheels are only 3 months old. For the cost of 2 wheels built up on my hubs i can get a new stronger wheel set (when i factor in selling my current set).

For obvious reasons im not convinced what i have is up to the job.
[quote author=]Buzz, Tinc,

I have already trued them myself, after bending them for a second time (front and rear) i took them to my LBS who sorted one wheel but not the other, they also said they needed a rebuild/new rims. I took the second wheel to a second LBS who trued it but also said it needs a new rim. These wheels are only 3 months old. For the cost of 2 wheels built up on my hubs i can get a new stronger wheel set (when i factor in selling my current set).

For obvious reasons im not convinced what i have is up to the job.[/quote]

Fair enough matey!  I did re-read & noticed the "out of adjustment" comment.  Wink

If you've had to true them twice in 3 months then maybe they aren't up to the task.
Or maybe you need to work on your landings Big Grin