This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bedding in brake pads
I'm sure this has been covered many times, but damned if I can find it, so...
Gonna fit new rear pads before tonights BBH ride, as they've not been too good lately...

Avid Juicy 5's, new Avid Organic pads (think I bought from Morts?).

For starters any good tips of removing/fitting and best way to bed the new pads in?
I'm sure I'll get 5 different "best ways" so I'll just have to go with majority Tongue

Thanks all...
No ideas on fitting really as never used 5's but essentially just make sure the pistons are pushed back nicely, pad in, wheel in job done.

As for bedding in, get a nice head of speed up, brake firmly but controlled (think emergency stop in the car), then rinse and repeat. Do it 8-10 times and they should be all good.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
"treaclesponge" Wrote:No ideas on fitting really as never used 5's but essentially just make sure the pistons are pushed back nicely, pad in, wheel in job done.
Actually forgot about the push pistons in thing, so thanks for that Rich' - it's been too long since I did this shiznit!

"treaclesponge" Wrote:As for bedding in, get a nice head of speed up, brake firmly ... then rinse and repeat 8-10 times
Rinse - as in water on discs?
Sure I read on here that water + hot disks is a recipe for warping!
From my experience I found that new brake pads, taken straight to Wales on a 3 day sketchy ride, worked pretty well, pretty quickly, with no "official" bedding in.
You'll need a pair of slim nosed pliers to take the pads out as well.

Personally I've never used water when bedding in brakes
Rinse and repeat as in shampoo instructions. Turn of phrase. Never used water on mine, cant imagine it helping to be honest.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Have done juicy pads without pliers many times.  Bedding in can be done many ways - i ride to the top of a long hill and drag the brakes on the way down it
Cool, thanks guys!
I'll try to leave work early today and get these buggers fitted.

I'll remove old pads & clean calipers, push pistons fully in & fit new pads. Check they actually work in back yard, then head out to the road for 10 or so hard (but not lock up) stops Smile

=== edit ===
maybe with the occasional loong drag thrown in for good measure ;D
"pittgoat" Wrote:Have done juicy pads without pliers many times.  Bedding in can be done many ways - i ride to the top of a long hill and drag the brakes on the way down it

OH you must be bedding in brakes every time we ride  Tongue Wink

find a nice flat bit of road/grass ride as fast as you can and lean of the back of the bike and feather the rear brake so its almost locked up. Do that 4 or 5 times and all should be OK.
"Deadpool2e" Wrote:OH you must be bedding in brakes every time we ride  Tongue Wink
Big Grin Big Grin
"Deadpool2e" Wrote:find a nice flat bit of road/grass ride as fast as you can and lean of the back of the bike and feather the rear brake so its almost locked up. Do that 4 or 5 times and all should be OK.
Cheers matey, will try all of the above methods, they'll be the most bedded in brakes in the universe!