This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Set Up advice
Ok so i've had my bike for nearly a year now but I have always had the niggling feeling that its not set up for me properly. Especially when climbing. I always seem to end up hunched over with my chin really low to the stem, however my front wheel always seems to skip about and i move from side to side on the trail.

I know it's a bit late to be asking these questions but without spending money on it is there any adjustments I can easily make to try and improve the ride?
If you find the front "skittish" and lacking weight while climbing this could be the symptom of to shorter stem.

(think this is the first technical answer I have ever given on here  Smile)

(okay so I just read it on bikeradar, damn you all  Wink)

"13. Stem length - Shortening your stem increases steering response and control. Between 60 and 80mm will be best, depending on your height and top tube length. The shorter you go the quicker the handling – but climbing suffers because this reduces the weight on the front of your bike."

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article...pt-1-26392
But the stem is the original one one the bike, I think its about 90mm? Should I or could I go longer?
"mashley" Wrote:Ok so i've had my bike for nearly a year now but I have always had the niggling feeling that its not set up for me properly. Especially when climbing. I always seem to end up hunched over with my chin really low to the stem, however my front wheel always seems to skip about and i move from side to side on the trail.

I know it's a bit late to be asking these questions but without spending money on it is there any adjustments I can easily make to try and improve the ride?

dropping down elbows and wrists already - sort of pulling down on the bars a bit and sitting forward on saddle - seems like your doing most of this already

my stems a bit too short for climbing - has stem got any rise as could turn it upside down

moving saddle a fraction forward on rails - don't go beyond limit/marks as this can result in bent saddle rails

check bars and see if rotating a little bit drops height/moves forward a bit
I hope you're not seriously asking me. I've used up my technical knowledge for the year.....
I think you mentioned back pain at surrey didnt you. and I seem to recall your saddle is either right forward or right back on the rails. Some movement of the saddle could ease the back pain, and if it goes further forward could assist climbing.
That said im thinking the Prophet is probably not designed with climbing in mind so much as handling on the downs.
Its technique, nothing to do with set-up really, though it will help. There is no point setting the bike up for climbing as your more into the downs. You need to get your ass on the front of the saddle, arms bent and weight as far forward as you can, literally leaning over the front. Also work on having a smooth pedal stroke so that you dont jerk the bike up.

Ive got a 160mm very slack bike with a slack seat tube and a 50mm stem, it gets up very steep sections fine where alot of guys on xc bikes fail to get up, most people who have ridden with me can vouch for it getting up steep sections.
I find it really helped me putting my thumbs on top of the handlebar, keeps my arms more tucked in and steady!
"Buzz" Wrote:Ive got a 160mm very slack bike with a slack seat tube and a 50mm stem, it gets up very steep sections fine where alot of guys on xc bikes fail to get up, most people who have ridden with me can vouch for it getting up steep sections.

Yup. Ive seen it but I still cant quite believe what I saw!!
My saddle if quite far forward and as i said i do always seems to be bend low over the bars, I've been told before that I should turn my wrists down and try to pull the front towards towards the ground but I find that difficult. My current technique does give me back ache.