This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disc brake question
A quick question as i'm not great with all this stuff.

Currently i'm running a set of discs with 160mm rotors and both calipers are post mounted. My forks have a post mount and my frame is an IS mount (so i currently have an IS to post adaptor on the rear). I'm looking to buy some new brakes and am going to go upto 185mm rotors and the calipers are IS mounted. Obviously i know i am going to need a post to IS 185mm adaptor for the forks, but will i also need an IS to IS adaptor to run the bigger rotor on the rear?

Cheers
Yep you will need new adaptors front and rear

Can i ask why you want a IS mounted brake though ? Post mount is alot easier to set up ! What brakesa are they out of interest ?
Avid elixir r's, only available in IS though

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50601">http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=50601</a><!-- m -->
Ahh bargain then ! I would imagine they would be a pain in the harris to set up though ! No undo bolts, pull lever and clamp bolts back up Sad

Surely if you buy the 185mm or whatever size they would give you an adaptor with them though \?
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-bike-disc-brakes/avid-disc-brakes/avid-elixir-r-disc-brake-set.html">http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... e-set.html</a><!-- m --> £10 more ... You dont have to fart around with adaptors then !
A pain as in messing about with spacing washers to get the caliper aligned properly? If so i can deal with that, have had to do it before with my hope on my trials bike, just have to put a morning aside and make sure there isn't a swear jar in sight! Tongue

And that was my though with the adapter, at least for the rear, would still have to get a front one though to convert from post to IS
&quot;matt&quot; Wrote:A pain as in messing about with spacing washers to get the caliper aligned properly? If so i can deal with that, have had to do it before with my hope on my trials bike, just have to put a morning aside and make sure there isn't a swear jar in sight! Tongue

And that was my though with the adapter, at least for the rear, would still have to get a front one though to convert from post to IS

Yeh, Im all for minimal hassle ;D But if your willing to go for it ! Have a look at the link i posted though Smile, Would work out about the same as you can use your old mounts ! Saving you £12-£14 on new mounts !
you should only need a post mount for the fork and an IS mount for the rear, exactly as you already have just to fit larger rotors.

There is nothing special about the brake calipers, ie they arent IS calipers, it will just be that this brake set comes with IS mounts, so you will need to buy the correct post mount to fit the front, the rear should be fine.
Sailor is probabally right actually, Think its only Magura that do the IS specific calipers !
yeah i had a look, but if i go for a 185 (my preference) it's £20 more i'll still have to mess around with an IS adaptor up front, so may as well just go IS both ends and get adaptors, works out cheaper and i don't mind the hassle  ;D

Thanks for the help!