This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear Mech Question
This may have been asked already so apologies if it has.

My rear mech is at the back of the bike, hangs straight down. Where and how I would expect. However Ive seen more and more people with rear mechs that are pulled foward at the jockey wheels. I believe Breezer has a similar setup althought I cant find a picture right now.

Now the question is why? What benefits are there? Should I/we all be doing this? If so, what do you do to make it happen? Less links in the chain?

Sorry if this seems an inane question but its been bugging me for a while!!

EDIT: This is the pic I was looking for

resim
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
That's shown in big ring big sprocket combo so should be pulled straight... roller adds to that and keeps the chain tension.
When in big/big you want it so the mech is pulled forward a fair bit, not all the way but quite a bit, this minimises the amount of links used so saves weight, less rolling resistance and less slack when in smaller gears and so less clattering around. Very important to note that a lot of bikes have initially rearward axle paths when the suspension compresses so you should check with the air out of your shock. If you set the chain length so the mech couldnt bend up any more as the wheel went backwards under compression, it would baulk the suspension and on a big hit probably snap the chain. I shortened mine when I went to a double as the Zesty was really noisy with chain slap, I have velcro down the back of the seat stay as well to quieten it.
Hmm ok. Mine rattles a fair bit so Ill take a look at popping out a link or two and see how it goes. Thanks!
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon