This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashley's basic bike questions
This is the thread where I'm going to ask all my simple, easy to answer bikes questions.  :B

1, I want to take a new chain and cassette to the mega, my bike has on it SRAM PG-950 11-32 Tooth cassette and Shimano HG53 chain, both new are £32 & £11 respectively. Should I buy these as replacements or look for different ones? Suggestions?

Thats all for today. I'm still looking for rear mech hangers too and not having much luck!  Undecided
Sram chains with powerlink are easy to use, decathlon do them. Shimano chains are fine but you need to add powerlink and have it prepared to the right length.
Cassette and chain sound ok mate. If thats what you have and it doesnt give you grief then dont see why it should cause problems.

As for the hanger, have you tried emailing Cannondale to get them to let you know a part number? I had to email Specialized about the Stumpy as it wasnt clear which one I needed.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Could get a 11-34 cassette so you have a lower gear. Get a sram chain as it doesnt have the nasty pins and will come with a powerlink, just a cheap one, no point spending tons on a chain. Probably need a middle ring as well as they wear together and your bikes a year old or something although only ridden 3 times in that period?

Had a quick google and couldnt find, Betd list ones but not for yours, I would ring the shop where you bought it and ask them to get you one
Personally I would only use SRAM chains now as I've had far too many Shimano ones snap under pressure... especially the more expensive light weight ones
Brezzer, ha ha!! - I have a new middle ring to put on already. I like the idea of a sram chain with the powerlink. Will any sram 9 speed chain do?  Undecided
Will call renhams cycles later for the mech hanger. I asusme theres no cheaper place to get them ?
Cheers everyone.
Yeah I've used betd for my hanger as has my friend, lost track of how many times his broke lol, i'd be suprised if they dont do one for you Smile
"mashley" Wrote:Brezzer, ha ha!! - I have a new middle ring to put on already. I like the idea of a sram chain with the powerlink. Will any sram 9 speed chain do?  Undecided
Will call renhams cycles later for the mech hanger. I asusme theres no cheaper place to get them ?
Cheers everyone.

Yep, cheaper is better too!
"MudMonkey" Wrote:Yep, cheaper is better too!

I'm not just after the cheapest components. There has to be a balance in cost and quality. If you buy cheap you usually end up buying twice! Wink
This one & a good price too

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/SRAM_PC991_Crossstep_9_Speed_Chain/5360030025/">http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/SRAM_ ... 360030025/</a><!-- m -->

Edit:
     If anyone is scratching their head as to what the "CrossStep" is, here you go! The rivets have a different profile through the length of the link. Also the rivet tabs are turned verticle versus horizontal. The gains to this chain is an extra 50kgf (kilograms of force) strength ratio. These chains are wicked strong, and long lasting.